Polyurethane varnish on top of water based varnish.

Polyurethane varnish on top of water based varnish. Can I do this?
I have used water based quick drying varnish on a bare wooden front door which I now regret as I don't think it will be tough enough.
Would the water based varnish work as a primer or undercoat for a polyurethane varnish?
Thanks
Brendan.
Yes should do, I did beams in water based then decided I liked the sheen of spirit based & slapped it on top, no bother.
Jim K
On 22/06/13 07:58, Jim K wrote:

is it the other way round when theres a problem? water paints on top of oil paint? [g]
george - dicegeorge wrote:

With art you can put oil on top of acrylic but not the other way round. quite often oil paintings use acrylic for under coat.

Hmmm... if you get it wrong you can come down the next morning and discover that you paintakingly created a craqueleur, entirely without wanting to.
On 21/06/2013 18:06, Rednadnerb wrote:

Are you sure? My experience with water-based is that some of them are remarkably tough. However I have not used it somewhere quite as extreme as an exposed front door.
--
Rod