refinish water based polyurethane w/o stripping

I would like to refinish my existing water based poly kitchen floor without having to strip it down to bare wood. There are some places were the wear is heavy but most everywhere else, where there is less or no traffic, is fine. I will stay with water based polyurethane to re-finish.

I read that it can be done w/o sanding down to bare wood, but not if there were some cleaners used on the floor. My wife likes Murphy's oil soap, so it was used but only a few times. It may be one of the bad guys. Can it be cleaned off?

Any suggestions appreciated on how to proceed.

GA

Reply to
George Abbot

t having to strip it down to bare

e, where there is less or no traffic,

were some cleaners used on the floor.

ay be one of the bad guys. Can it be

If any areas are bare wood a new coat wont do much to make it look great. Murphys oil will wash off, ask the polyurethane co what to use, but id guess a strong soap that leaves no residue like tsp, You need to lightly sand everything anyway.

Reply to
ransley

Check out the SandFree chain. They use solvents to dissolve the existing finish, then let it recure, all handled with a walk-behind machine. I've done some floor repair subcontracting for a local franchisee, and I was impressed with what he could do with an old, gummy floor.

If you don't like SandFree, I'm sure there are competitors who do the same thing. You might be able to figure out what products they use and do it yourself.

Reply to
SteveB

George Abbot wrote in news:Y96dnYDSXf-ijsXVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@suscom-maine.net:

Any color, wear, unevenness, whatever will show when redone. It will look like a new old floor. You would be topcoating and not refinishing.

If the sander is what's keeping you from doing it right, you may know only of the old drum sanders and the floor gouging horror stories that are not just stories.

Redid a floor with one of these a few months back. It's heavy (goodness) but it's a breeze to control. You can actually guide it with one hand. You would REALLY have to make an effort to gouge a floor with it. It gets very close to the edge. Even a handheld sander will do for what's left at the edges. Could even hand sand with patience.

The floor came out awesome. The local Borg had it in the area I was in at the time. Did entire dining room floor for $220. That includes everything - rental, supplies, poly, discs, tax, everything...except labor and electricity. The poly was put down with a pad on a pole. Like a sponge mop. I found this much better than a brush because you cove large areas in a short amount of time. No lines or brush marks because the poly never has time to begin surface setting. Just all flows real sweet.

Red Green