Wasp spray that works

Page 3 of 3

Isn't that why the contractor used it in the guy's walls, a couple weeks ago? That led to some hearty discussion. I'm guessing the church discourages people spraying gasoline into the walls. But, that's just a guess. They had a hissy fit when we brought in some hay bales for a country dance.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Steve Barker wrote:

I used to use WireDry. It was an automotive spray for spark plug wires and distributors. Any insect is instantly immobilized with it. I was amazed. It must dry their wires.
That sounds excellent for flying insects. But, there are many more, bored into the wall, and nesting under the vinyl.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I was lurking in this group for a bit before jumping into the lug nut thread, and I ended up reading through a few threads with your posts in them.
I'm just curious here, but I have to ask: Why do you top-post, but have a compliant signature (placed /above/ the quote) that instructs proper news clients to strip off it and everything below it?
If you wish to top-post, why not remove the space character from your sig's double-hyphen so that the quote below won't be stripped off by mistake?
--
Tegger

The double hyphen is put there by Outlook Express, and not by me.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I can find no such setting in OE.
I think that if you go to Tools>Options>Signatures, you'll find that the Signature text contains that double-hyphen and can be easily edited to remove the trailing space character.
Removal of the space character will not affect the appearance of your sig, but it will cause properly-programmed newsreaders to retain the quoted part when replying.
--
Tegger

It's not a settting. The double hypehen isn't part of my sig box.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I tried making a sig in OE and it does not give me anything other than exactly what I type. I can't imagine where your OE is getting the double-hyphen & space combo from.
--
Tegger

Same as yours, maybe?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I'm using XNews, not OE. The OE that's installed on my computer is never used for anything except testing.
I'll bet you've installed Quotefix. http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix /
Quotefix allows OE to produce RFC-compliant signatures with the hyphen- hyphen-space combo. It's a nice little package that fixes a lot that's wrong with OE. If I used OE, I'd use Quotefix.
I notice Quotefix enables one to easily turn off sig compliance, plus it allows one to place the sig at the top or the bottom.
--
Tegger

Got a wasp bag from Home Depot, for $4.99 today. Hung that near the wasp nest opening. Let you know in a couple days if it attracts bugs. Wish they made one side of the bag clear, so I could see if any bugs went in. But no, it's all covered in advertising and warnings.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

...and everyone has forgotten the many uses of WD-40. (Can be used with optional match/flamethrower) I have used it many times on wasps.
bob_v
On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:32:22 -0500, Steve Barker

I knew a firefighter that uses gasoline on wasp nests. Sounds a bit risky to me.

When I was a kid I used to squirt starting ether in a paper bag and slide it over a wasp nest. Count to 100 and they would all be asleep. I would then take down the nest and use the larvae for fish bait.
Jimmie
Stormin Mormon wrote:

One recent poster suggested gasoline...

I say, look for a wasp-&-hornet spray with high percentage of petroleum distillates. These have less ability to linger compared to other insecticidal ingredients, but if you get the nest soaked with that stuff then the nest's residents will probably kick the bucket in anywhere from a couple minutes to a couple hours. Larvae and pupae in the nest may take a few hours croak.
Insects getting a major direct hit with petroleum distillates (or organic solvents in general) tend to get pickled in anywhere from a few seconds to about a minute, to the point of being intoxicated to death.
Even "rubbing alcohol" and the whatever 151 proof booze wil kill within a minute insects being bathed in such stuff.
Just beware that some petroleum distillates and many organic solvents are flammable, and that liquids that are combustible but not flammable are flammable in mist form.
Also beware that organic solvents including petroleum distillates can mar some finishes, and a few organic solvents (such as acetone, MEK and "aromatic hydrocarbons" including turpentine) can even mar plastic object surfaces.

Most anything containing bifenthrin, sold under various names- Bifen, Bifenthrin, Talstar. You're supposed to be licensed to apply this stuff. You can get it online or eBay, 3/4 gal. will probably last the average person a lifetime. It's well worth the cost, and you can treat other pests as well. I use a 1 gal pump up sprayer. I just bought my 3rd jug of it. *Make sure you read the instructions*.
On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:21:27 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I used it last week after getting stung on the hand. There were about 10 angry red wasps, wet with the Black Flag spray, still flying around their nest. No more Black Flag Wasp spray for me.