Washer Recommendation?

Page 2 of 2
I always find it interesting how people decide what is or is not a good washer. Just because a machine doesn't break down during the warranty period, or even shortly after, doesn't mean it is a good machine. What is important is "how" it will break, when it does break. And if you look at that, things come into focus.
Let's take a look at GE washers, which currently have notorious main seal failures, which destroys the gearcase and bearings. Or when the gearcase fails, it sprays oil everywhere inside the machine. This is almost guaranteed to happen at the 5 year point. GE parts are much more expensive than the other brands.
Front loaders may use less power and water, but you shouldn't own one without some sort of repair contract, which decimates any water or power savings. All front loaders have electronic boards and high end motors...very expensive to replace, and they will need replacing sooner or later.
Frigidaire top load washers have notorious belt burnup problems. Nobody knows why. I would stear clear of all of their washers. Their dryers have notorious rear bearing problems, requiring annual lubrication. The others don't. Why go there?
My whirlpool direct drive washer from Sears (Kenmore labeled) only lasted 5 years before water leaked into the transmission seal which is under water level. Pretty stupid design but seems to hold up for other people.