Wallpaper *backing* and tape and bed man

We're remodeling a bedroom that has one wall of wallpaper. MOST of the wallpaper has come down The backing of the first layer of paper is just NOT budging! DH pasted a pre-pasted paper. I just called the tape and bed/texture guy and he said that if the backing is "good and stuck", they can "skim over it"??? Does that make sense? More important, will it WORK and work WELL? He's going to texture it to match the other walls and paint. Thanks, Monica

Reply to
Monica

Spray the wall down with water, soaking the paper really well, go have a couple smokes, or a drink, or whatever, then go back a scrape it off with a plastic scraper. They probably can skim over it, but why? Just get it wet for long enough, it will come off, then clean the wall really well to get the rest of the glue off.

Reply to
Curt Martin

Thanks Curt. Will the excess moisture damage the paper on the sheetrock or the sheetrock it's self?

Reply to
Monica

The sheetrock should have been primed and sized for wallpaper so the water won't hurt anything.

Reply to
CAStinneford

Reply to
Monica

Wet it anyway...the wallpaper backing will just fall off if there is enough water to damage the sheetrock.

From my experience, you will not damage the sheetrock - just do as Curt suggested.

wallpapering

Reply to
Brian Staff

That's funny. Usually if you don't size it, it winds up falling off. If you want to get it off, I'd rent one of the steam removal units, which I've always found to be the most effective.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

I've taken down a good bit of wallpaper and have never damaged the sheetrock unless I scraped too hard or scrubbed too long. Getting the old paste soft is a messy chore, but with care the paper should come off.

As CA said, spray it well - old windex bottle works fine if your hands hold up :o) Have a cuppa coffee, spray again, another cup and it will be ready. It most likely will not all be off. I have always let the wall dry overnight at that point so as not to soften whatever coating is on the sheetrock. Then, warm water and soft rag to wash remaining paste from the wall. It will quit feeling "slimey" when all the paste is gone. Be sure to carefully feel and look for remaining paste, as if any is left on it will transmit the paper texture when painted.

Reply to
NorMinn