Wall Outlets with USB connectors

Page 5 of 6

Well, that statement is not _completely_ true.
Newer, higher power USB 2.0 ports will charge the iPad as will standard USB ports if the computer is awake and the iPad is in sleep mode.
The details can be found here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4060
Even with that said, I'm not sure that that is the _reason_ iPads come with adapters. They could still sell them separately if they wanted to.
We'll have to wait and see if Apple stops including the adapter once high power USB ports are commonplace.

That would be me now that the girls are home from college. When their brothers stop over with their devices it gets even worse. Wires everywhere, adapters missing from where they should be, adapters plugged in but the USB cord missing, etc.
I ended up plugging a power strip into an outlet behind a couch and then tie-wrapping a non-USB adaptor to the strip so it would take effort and tools for any of them to move the charger that I use for my phone. They're free to use it where it is, but they've pretty much got the message that I want it to be where it's supposed to be when I need it.
On 6/27/2012 8:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Can it charge as quickly as the wall charger? Apple's wall charge recharges 100% in less than 2 hours, and that's with the iPad on.
I've yet to get the iPad to charge on my puter but then again I dunno if I've had it on sleep mode.
I may try yours/apple's advice just to see...

Please refer to the link I provided for the details. The answer to your question is there.

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:16:56 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

It depends on which Kindle you buy as to what you get. While the particular Kindle in your above example comes with both, not all do:
The basic $79 Kindle comes with only a USB 2.0 cable. (Power adapter sold separately.)
(Amazon.com product link shortened)mstripe_k
While the Kindle Fire comes with only a power adapter (hard wired to a micro USB plug). (USB cable sold separately.)
(Amazon.com product link shortened)mstripe_kf

I guess I bought the right Kindles then. ;-)
On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 19:30:07 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

My guess is that most Kindle buyers don't realize what power supply arrangement comes with the various packages. I didn't when I bought my 3 Kindles (Keyboard G3, $79, Fire). But for me it wasn't a big problem with my drawer full of USB supplies and cables. However I can see where it might inconvenience some.
Reports say that Amazon is cutting it close (or even taking a loss) on some models and leaving out those parts can help meet those magic price points ($79, $199 ect). Their idea is likely to make up the profit by selling content. Kinda like the cheap printer expensive ink business plan... ;)

Yea, that's a real pain charging with the computer port. Get a USB charger. Most are less than $20 these days. For example Target is currently selling a dual port 2.1 amp charger for $13. It's good for both high current (Kindle Fire, iPad) and low current (ereaders, iPods, phone) devices.
I think it's a good idea that many manufacturers have stopped including the universal USB chargers. They can sell the devices a bit cheaper and those of us who already have a drawer full of them don't have get yet another one, or worse throw another one away...
On 6/27/2012 6:02 PM, AJL wrote:

I bought a powerbar that has usb ports and surge protection and timer but I think I overpaid. Should have bought the universal usb charger like what you said or one of those wall plugs...

I have 2 1500W UPS. I use one for my 50 Plasma TV. The other one is for my main computer, wireless network/router and my cordless phone.
They both come with 2 USB ports. For 200 bucks a piece, they should kick in a couple of USB ports.
On 6/27/2012 2:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My comment was that the older versions were linear power supplies not that supplies aren't still commonly furnished.

Oh, OK. I thought you were echoing another poster's comment that many devices don't come with any type of charger these days.

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:18:59 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I'm pretty sure what was meant was that the old, heavier, linear power supplies used to come with every device -- most current devices come with switching power supplies (yes, some come with none at all). The point is that linear power supplies are the ones that have real "vampire power"; you'd be hard pressed to put all of your switching supplies together, unconnected to devices, and measure any significant cost..
Josh

If you are that concerned about wasting power on such a device, make sure you install a double gang box and use a switch so you can turn it off when not in use...
On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 09:38:29 -0500, The Daring Dufas

If this is the case, how come they dont sell receptacles that have a built in 12 volt battery charger for cars. Just think how handy that would be to have one or more in the garage.
On 6/28/2012 1:45 AM, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

If your car will fit on your kitchen counter, it probably has a USB port for recharging its batteries. ^_^
What current are you looking for from this new outlet? The relatively small space a standard 120 volt AC receptacle fits may not be big enough to house a battery charger for car batteries that's powerful enough to be anything more than a trickle charger. O_o
TDD
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 01:45:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

If someone thought there was a market for them, they would. Maybe you'd like to start that business?
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 01:45:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

Two in the car fixes that. The next car I buy will play mp3s from my flash drive.
On 6/27/2012 6:06 AM, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

we have 2 e-book readers, 2 ipads and 3 cell phones in my home. It's about time these stand-alone receptacles came out. They've been on power bars for some time

Wow, you must be very wealthy to have all that stuff!
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 04:31:49 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@lakenet.org wrote:

You need to be wealthy to have $1500 worth of stuff? I suppose I'm Warren Buffet (two e-book readers, six cell phones, three laptops, two desktops, and three flat-panel TVs) - for the two of us. Oh, and two houses. ;-)