Wall Outlets with USB connectors

Really? Since 1982? You're probably the senior guy here...

Tch, Tch, aren't you supposed to be working at work? ;)

Try the app NewsTap on your iPad. No need for GG.

I use the free app Groundhog on my Droid. No need for GG.

It's not that difficult to stay current between devices. I just set them to pick up the days headers and ignore all above the last read.

Thunder bird's a good newsreader. I have it installed. But I always seem to go back to this 10+ year old copy of Agent. Getting my $29 worth... ;)

Perhaps another reason to avoid posting with GG is that it seems to lead people to make the same mistake about the poster that I did...

Reply to
AJL

Entirely possible to make a USB port that takes NO power when nothing is plugged in. Very simple too. Just a magnetic reed switch that turns the port on when the steel shelled USB plug is inserted into the port. Or even a microswitch. Certainly not rocket science, and 5 volts at 2 amps converts to inder 1/10 amp currrent draw that needs to be switched at 120 volts - trivial at best.

Reply to
clare

I got the Kindle Fire originally because I already had a large ebook collection with Amazon and reading them on a color screen is much nicer than on the B&W Kindles (except in direct sunlight). And even though I could read my Kindle books on the iPad, I liked the Fire's book sized form factor much better.

But after having the Fire awhile it slowly replaced the iPad in everything I did. So my wife got the iPad and everyone was happy... ;)

One pleasant surprise was that it has virtually the same OS as my Incredible smartphone. So I can trade apps back and forth and most of the time they work. If Amazon doesn't have something (like Opera, Cool Reader, Firefox, ect) I can get it from the Google store and side load it. Very handy. Good luck trying that on an iPad.

Unlikely a tablet will ever replace a laptop. For me it's less the OS than the keyboard. Typing on those 'on the screen' keyboards is a PITA. For that reason I usually use a netbook when posting.

And my Incredible smartphone does everything I use my Kindle Fire for. But for casual use around the house I prefer the Fire because of the larger screen and book sized form factor. Different strokes of course... ;)

Also I just like gadgets so I may indulge myself (again) when the next generation of 7" tablets come out. Google is taking orders for its new tablet now and the Fire 2 is rumored for August.

Reply to
AJL

The Color Nook has a really nice screen. Ny wife has one (and an original Nook, but she doesn't use it anymore) and it's really impressive for the price.

I looked at an iPad yesterday (cow-orkers wanted to stop by an Apply store on the way back from lunch). The prices weren't that much higher than a Galaxy but why bother? As you point out, the apps are the issue.

"Replace" isn't the right word. Tablets are a lot more portable than a full notebook and much more convenient for a some things. However, "it's the apps, stupid". If I could use the same apps as my laptop, I'd jump at it even if the keyboard sucked. I have a netbook but the keyboard sucks. It's not enough more portable than a laptop, so it sits in a closet (not even sure where, right not).

Right, but around the house I'll use my laptop.

I'll wait. I'm half thinking about replacing this laptop with one of the tablet-PCs but they're expensive.

Reply to
krw

I am impressed. I didn't even get online until 92 and that was (yech) AOL dialup...

I worked at Motorola's Western Military plant in Scottsdale AZ (its no longer there) on military gear in the early 60s. Before that I was a TV tech in the 50s. Also around that time I was active on ham RTTY. So I do have some experience with old stuff.

I suppose I could see that reasoning on a laptop or large tablet.

But on a small phone screen a dedicated newsreader is so much faster, easier to use, and easier to read on a small screen than a browser. (And likely easier on your battery too.)

For the same reason I use a dedicated (IMAP) email app (K-9 Mail) to read my Gmail on my phone instead of trying to read it in a browser.

When GG users do show up here they are often quite obvious in their naivety of this place and sometimes as a result handle themselves poorly. Thus when you only whined about another poster treating you poorly in your answer to my suggestions I figured it's just another GG user. That's why I made the mistake that you were a newbie and gave you that unsolicited advice on how to handle a bully in a schoolyard... ;)

Reply to
AJL

I have only seen the Nook at the B&N store but they look fine. I think B&N may have gotten into the ebook business a little too late. I hope they survive but I have my doubts.

I've always liked reclining back in my big easy chair and reading a book. Now I can recline back and read a book and the internet on my Kindle Fire. I guess I could do the same with my laptop, but it's not nearly as comfortable... ;)

Reply to
AJL

Why you took as whining was actually sarcasm.

Sometimes that dosn't come across very well in a text based medium.

No hard feelings. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A new standard for cell phones (I believe, driven by the Chinese market of all places - we like to think of China as backward and reactionary, but this is a legitimately good idea IMHO) is that the charging connector is always a Micro USB connector. Also most phones offer some USB connectivity options to a PC. So they're shipping not with a wall wart with an integral cord with a Micro USB plug but rather a wall wart with a USB A socket, a 12V lighter socket plug with a USB A socket, and a USB A to Micro USB cord, that way the cord can be used for all purposes. That recep would allow you to not have to use the wall wart.

That said, I'm not real nuts about the idea because wouldn't that recep be drawing a small amout of power all the time even if something isn't plugged into it?

nate

Reply to
N8N

AFAIK, the Nook Tablet has a larger market share than the Kindle Fire. The Color Nook almost identical (memory is the difference, AFAIK) and even cheaper. I don't think the Nook is going anywhere.

I don't think I'd be comfortable with either for reading. That's the reason I haven't bought an e-reader for myself.

Reply to
krw

Should you accept this assignment, you are being promoted to field tester fourth grade. Your assignment is to buy such a socket, and test it with an ammeter. Should you survive this assignment, we'll discuss promotion to Field Tester third grade.

.

That said, I'm not real nuts about the idea because wouldn't that recep be drawing a small amout of power all the time even if something isn't plugged into it?

nate

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

... major snippage ...

trader4,

Thanks for the support, but I'm sure you know that once krw enters that zone there's no sense in continuing.

As usual, threads that start out with friendly back and forth end up with him cursing us out and calling our responses "irrelevant". Any attempt to explain the issue in a different manner as a means to try to get him to understand a point is attacked on a personal level.

Once he's started down that path, there really is no point in trying to reign him in, but I'm sure you know that.

Let him think he's won and let it go.

Thanks again.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Very subtle. I did miss it. As I said I was influenced by GGs.

Perhaps if you had even acknowledged my suggestions before the sarcasm?

Feelings in this place?? Except for me whining about you not acknowledging my suggestions?? Is that subtle of what... ;)

Reply to
AJL

"Even though the Nook had record sales, shipping 1.9 million units during the holiday period, its total 2011 sales of nearly 3.3 million still fell below the estimated 3.9 million Kindle Fires sold during the period."

Course that could be wrong because I think "estimated" means they don't know for sure since I don't think Amazon releases their sales figures. Also I've read that the Fire's sales have been falling off recently.

The Fire's small memory size (8G) is really only a problem for storing movies. My 2000+ ebook library (these from Usenet, not Amazon) take around 2G. Lots of room left.

The 7" tablet field is about to become crowded. We'll have to see how it shakes out.

Reply to
AJL

Good to see I'm not the only one here who's noticed that. I mean he could have just said that he doesn't think a USB port in a kitchen makes sense for him. But instead, it turns into you being wrong and a nut because you don't charge your cell phone in the bedroom like he does. And then it's that somehow charging it in the kitchen is going to wear out the USB connector and battery? And next it's that anyone who doesn't agree with him is an Obama Democrat.

He often has good points, but when he goes off the deep end, he sure does it in a big way. I don't know what his problem is, but clearly he has some issues.

Reply to
trader4

Thanks for that link.

It would be interesting to know if the USB port can be used to charge devices like cell phones or iPads.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

And then there's these conceptual designs...

DerbyDad03

Oh, good grief. Of course that's what the .5A maximum means. The device is only allowed to draw a maximum of .5A. Of *course* to allow this, somewhat more must be available - tolerances and all that. You can't *count* on it nor can you count on being able to use more without damage.

Of course it does. It's the maximum the device can draw without violating the spec.

Irrelevant. You can't design a device to use more than .5A and expect it to work. In face many violate the spec by not allowing .5A.

Get real.

Reply to
krw

If it is a USB port it needs to comply with certain standards - one of which is the provision of a minimum of 500ma of current at 5 volts.

Reply to
clare

I think we visited this earlier. Let me try again.

Yes the iPad is supplied with a 2A adaptor, but it will charge just fine at less current, it just takes a lot longer.

The iPad may draw 2A if 2A is available. But it will also charge using adaptors/ports that are current limited to much less.

Yup that's where we ran into trouble before. If you have to use the iPad while its charging then yes you need the 2A adapter. But most of us find it inconvenient to do that (especially if its hooked to the microwave ;). And with the iPad's 10 hour battery life only very poor planning would even require having to do that. The answer to the question (above) is yes (if it is a standard low powered adaptor/port). Simple, just leave it on charge overnight, sleeping while you're sleeping, and your good to go in the morning...

BTW some of the confusion lies in the iPad saying its not charging when attached to a low power port/adaptor. That's because to see the 'not charging' icon the iPad has to be on, and of course as pointed out, when its on, its not charging. But Apple assures us that when it is sleeping, it is charging... ;)

----------------------- "When connected to lower-power USB ports--those on older Macs, most Windows PCs, and most USB hubs (powered or unpowered)--the iPad's battery is not charged while the iPad is awake, but is charged (again, slowly) when the iPad is asleep. What's confusing here is that the message Not charging appears in the menu bar when the iPad is awake, which might lead you to assume that the offending USB port can never charge your iPad. But rest assured, Apple says: once you put the iPad to sleep, the battery will indeed charge. (If you could see the screen while the iPad was asleep, it might even display the charging icon. It's the modern-day "Does the refrigerator light stay on when I close the door?" mystery.)"

AJL

I don't think there is any question it can. Even the most basic USB port has to be able to deliver 500ma at 5V. That's well within the range of what it takes to charge a cell phone battery. Interesting that a microwave already exists with USB. Thanks for the find SMS!

Reply to
trader4