Wall Outlets with USB connectors

61&sr=3D1-

The SCOSCHE 4 Port USB Home Charger scares me a bit, simply based on the price: $5.97.

I bought a couple of cheap USB wall wort chargers on eBay. I think I paid $10 for 2.

Every time I plugged the charger into my smart phone, it would start opening apps and flipping through my home screens. It even rebooted the phone a few times. I tossed both of them.

A co-worker bought an el-cheapo USB charger from a different source and it turned his smart phone into a brick. Lucky for him the phone was under warranty so he got it replaced, but it was a major hassle to "rebuild" the new phone so that it acted like his old phone.

I'd shy away from anything that cheap on the fear that it would destroy my smart phone or iPad.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Two in the car fixes that. The next car I buy will play mp3s from my flash drive.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Highly unlikely? Don't be so sure. Read on...

You are making assumptions about people's cell phone usage that might not be valid. Rarely is the day that I don't need to charge my phone before bedtime. This is not uncommon for a lot of people.

I use it for work, family and friends. There are commercials for newer phones that tout batteries that last all day. They wouldn't need to do that if usage patterns didn't show that people need to charge their phones more often than just while they are sleeping.

If my phone begins to die at 7 PM, I'm not going to take it upstairs to the bedroom and leave it there all evening. I'll plug it in somewhere near where I'm going to be. The kitchen, the garage, the living room. Maybe you don't use your phone as much as others or want it nearby and charged at all times. That's you and that's fine. For me, and many others, well, we *do* want it nearby and charged at all times. When my kids stop over, very often the first thing they do is find a chrager and plug their phones in.

I am more in contact with my out-of-the-house kids via texting that I ever was before we had an unlimited texting plan. Random pictures from college, a picture of a hole in a wall (punched) and a question on how to fix it, the occasional "I miss you, Dad." or "Dad, I need your help." I'm not going to miss those opportunities to connect with my kids because my phone is up in the bedroom charging.

Not in every receptacle, but maybe in one receptacle in each room - or in an appliance, like a microwave, so you don't need a special receptacle in the kitchen.

I'm not talking about DVD writers. I'm talking about Digital Video Recorders, which is how we time-shift TV shows. There's a hard drive in the cable box used for recording shows, pausing and rewinding live TV, etc.

You don't have that in your cable boxes? I assume you don't have HD cable?

BTW...my old TWC DVR had output jacks and an option allowing you to dump shows from the DVR's hard Drive to a DVD writer in the background. The newer ones don't have that option so you have to Play the show off of the hard drive while you are recording it on the DVD writer. Much less convenient.

24/7 should have

But you're depriving the cats of all those cute human vidoes on YouTube.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If you are that concerned about wasting power on such a device, make sure you install a double gang box and use a switch so you can turn it off when not in use...

Reply to
Evan

You really need a better cell phone. A cheap-ass phone should go several days between charges. Even the latest whiz-bang smart phone should be good for more than 24 hours.

You did understand the above limitations on USB insertions and battery cycles, right? Charging phones that often isn't good for them.

You need a better phone. Mine goes all day, plus. The only time I have to plug it in otherwise is if I'm using it as a hot spot. At first the batteries didn't last but a few tweaks and they're good for about two days.

Irrelevant.

Nonsense. You're the only one on the planet.

A DVD writer is also a DVR.

No, I have satellite. ;-)

But much better for the control freaks.

24/7 should have

They wouldn't watch anyway. Those humans don't feed or scratch them.

Reply to
krw

Derby, by now you should know that there is only KRW's way or the highway. Despite all his lamenting about how liberals all want us to live a certain way, he has a remarkable penchant himself for thinking everyone must use things the way he does. Why, if KRW only needs to charge his cell phone in the bedroom, why that's what everyone should do.

I have a Tivo DVR and it has two USB ports.

Reply to
trader4

Some people go broke buying electronic toys and some people hoard too much of their money to enjoy. Takes all kinds.

$1500 worth of disposable electronic gadgets is alot to some people and nothing to others. To a typical middle class family in North America, it shouldn't be alot.

Hey some people smoke and some people gamble and some buy too much alcohol. I know some people that never have bills paid on time still find a way to spend $30 on beer and cigarettes for a weekend yet struggle to fill the car with gas to get to work or pay rent/mortgage. They think I'm rich cause I have a bigger house and newer car and never complain out loud about gas prices but I also don't spend $1500 a year or more on booze and cigarettes.

Reply to
Duesenberg

You might consider an oversize battery. When I first got my smartphone (HTC Incredible) almost 2 years ago I was disappointed that I seldom got a full day. I invested in an oversize battery and after that it seldom went below 50%. It does make it a bit thicker and heavier but the trade off was well worth it IMO-YMMV.

(Unless you have an IPhone where you can't change the battery...)

And there's no reason you should. With USB chargers/cables being as cheap as they are, buy several and put them wherever it's convenient for you.

(Unless you have an iPhone where the extra cables aren't so cheap...)

Reply to
AJL

Yeah, I hear ya. Sometimes it seems like the conversation is going well, with a little give and take, until at some point nothing you say will be right or relevant.

Time to move on.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Though both my Kindle Fire and iPad 1 come with 2 amp chargers I have found that if I leave either on a 1 amp charger overnight they will fully charge. Dunno if that translates to a computer port though.

Reply to
AJL

Yes, in fact I do have to charge it in the bedroom.

According to krw I have a crappy phone that should only be charged in the bedroom. No one else on the planet has the same issues as I do. Ask him...he'll tell you.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There are apps that do a better job of power management than the defaults, too. This really helped mine.

My Droid Razr has a fixed battery, as well. They now offer a model with a larger battery, though.

Then you've already accepted the fact that you're paying way more than necessary, just for the logo. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Ah, I see you're from Google Groups. You realize that this isn't really Google Groups don' you? This is Usenet where flaming is a decades old tradition. The best defense is either to ignore it or flame back. Or as I do on occasion, take the flamers identity and post an apology. In any case whining won't get you all that far...

Reply to
AJL

You're a liar. I said you shouldn't *have* to charge it more than once a day. If you do, one you're putting more stress on the battery and the connector than it was designed for and two, there's something wrong with the phone, the battery, or you. Since you can't read, or think, I'm leaning to the latter.

Reply to
krw

It certainly is. The maximum *guaranteed* current available at a USB port is .5A (and many fail at that). Any more, and there is a (good) chance that the device won't work.

So now you agree with me. Are you just looking for a fight or can't you read?

I've never owned a company.

Reply to
krw

To some, $1500 is pocket money. They aren't "rich".

It certainly doesn't define the "rich". It really is a small amount of money for reasonably long-life appliances.

Agreed, and that's really my point. $1500 is a drop in the bucket, over a long period. Calling anyone with $1500 "rich" is absurd.

Reply to
krw

There are many other's, that's just one I ran across while doing some quick searching.

That's where things really need to be standardized. I have a bare bones basic Motorola cell phone. It comes with a wall wort that has a typical USB plug on it. Of course, if I plug any other USB charger into the phone, it won't charge. You would think a USB plug would be a USB plug, but both of our experiences show otherwise.

If all devices used the same USB charging arrangement, we would only need a single wall wort or USB charger cable. But, fat chance of that happening as proprietary seems to be the order of the day these days.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

I been participating in usenet groups for at least 3 of those decades.

I use GG because it's the only way I can access usenet from work. Since it also works quite well on my iPad and battery sucking Droid, I choose to go with the ease of a consistent interface across all devices.

I sometimes use Thunderbird's newsreader when I'm sitting at my home desktop, but that's getting rarer and rarer these days.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My guess is that eventually most phones will have internal batteries. It certainly hasn't hurt iPhone sales.

Yup. I paid way too much for my iPad. Never again. The Kindle Fire, while definitely not in the same hardware class, does virtually everything I used the iPad for at less than half the price.

Reply to
AJL

I'd definitely prefer a user replaceable battery but in the end it was the thickness of the phone that made the sale. Since this isn't the big selling point for most, I doubt it'll be universal.

I was seriously looking at a Galaxy Tablet and then perhaps a Nook (they're an Android tablet underneath) because they're cheap but in the end I decided I didn't have much use for a tablet unless it would replace a laptop (run Windows). My Razr does everything I would use a tablet for.

Reply to
krw