Wall Outlets with USB connectors

Buying used. You can save $200 buying used Ipad that the old owner lost his charger. :)

Our kobo ebook readers require usb charging but the company did not provide chargers. So instead we had to plug them into a computer usb port.

Same with our legacy Ipod's.

Reply to
Duesenberg

The iPad I just bought was refurbished direct from Apple. Full 1 year warranty. Good thing too since the Home Switch died within the first month. Came with the charger.

(BTW..the exchange experience was amazingly simple at the Genius Bar in the Apple store. They made sure my old one was backed-up, showed me how to wipe everything off it before I gave it to them and then started the reload of the data onto the new one. 10 minute wait, 15 minutes for the exchange and before I walked out of the store the replacement iPad looked and acted exactly like my old one, right down to the homescreen wallpaper - except that the Home Button works now.)

Both Kindles my daughters bought came with chargers. I just checked Amazon...they still ship with chargers.

Legacy iPods without chargers?

My daughters have had various vintages of iPods over the years and every one came with a charger.

I'm not doubting your experiences, but in my case every device that required a wall wort charger came with one.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well, that's 4A (they usually have two USB charging outlets). ;-) It is pretty easy, but not cheap (compared to $.29 outlets). The other issue is the vampire power. It upsets leftists.

Reply to
krw

I have a Kindle e-reader. It came with a USB cord for re-charging. If I want an a/c adapter -- which I have been told is a lot faster than using USB, I have to buy it separately. They cost about $10 at Staples. I think its interesting that USBs are available as regular wall sockets. I also have an iPod which I have to charge using a USB.

Reply to
Dottie

They come with a USB cable, *not* ac power adapters. The ac power adapter is sold separately. If you want one, it's another fifteen bucks.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

They should put USB ports in stuff that already use vampire electricity, like the TV.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Yea, that's a real pain charging with the computer port. Get a USB charger. Most are less than $20 these days. For example Target is currently selling a dual port 2.1 amp charger for $13. It's good for both high current (Kindle Fire, iPad) and low current (ereaders, iPods, phone) devices.

I think it's a good idea that many manufacturers have stopped including the universal USB chargers. They can sell the devices a bit cheaper and those of us who already have a drawer full of them don't have get yet another one, or worse throw another one away...

Reply to
AJL

I'm not sure where you buy your Kindles from but you should get them from here:

Included Accessories: U.S. power adapter (supports 100V-240V), USB 2.0 cable, rechargeable battery.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My comment was that the older versions were linear power supplies not that supplies aren't still commonly furnished.

Reply to
George

[snip]

I've got one installed on my network board, it powers the magicJack VoIP adapter.

Reply to
RP McMurphy

Oh, OK. I thought you were echoing another poster's comment that many devices don't come with any type of charger these days.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yours doesn't?

Reply to
krw

But Leftists ARE vampires, they suck the life out of everything. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yes. Mine does.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Ok? I guess I don't get your point.

Reply to
krw

Have you met a lefty that likes himself?

Reply to
krw

Our Kobo newreaders are popular in Canada. Since we got cheap black and white versions you just get a usb cord, not an a/c adapter. Higher end models have those. Had we known at the time we would have purchased the a/c adapters.

As for the Ipod, my wife's is gen two and mine is gen 3 and neither one of us have a adapter for ours. just the usb cord.

Ipads have adapter's because the computer USB is not powerful enuf to charge those devices.

I can only imagine what a typical house with two teenagers and two parents would be like with all these damn usb devices now.

Reply to
Duesenberg

I bought a powerbar that has usb ports and surge protection and timer but I think I overpaid. Should have bought the universal usb charger like what you said or one of those wall plugs...

Reply to
Duesenberg

te:

rote:

e:

I'll take a shot at his point....

"They should put USB ports in stuff that already use vampire power, like my TV, which has one. My microwave, my DVR box, and my fish tank filter should have one also. Anything that uses power 24/7 should have USB port available for charging devices."

OK, so maybe I stretched his point a bit, but I think it was just in the way your interpreted the phrase, "like the TV".

He meant that all vampire-like devices should have one, just like his TV does.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ah! I hadn't thought of reading the sentence that way. OK, I see...

No use. Waste of money.

Maybe. I can see a (small) use for USB there, even.

It wouldn't save anything.

I see. Now. ;-) Thanks.

Reply to
krw