Wall Outlets with USB connectors

In the electrical dept at a building supply store, I saw for the first time electrical outlets that fit in a standard box, and they contain one regular AC outlet and two USB connectors. The package says that they have a built in converter. The cost was around $13. The question I had, is what are they for? For example, when I plug a USB device in my computer, it serves a purpose. For example a USB external hard drive for storage, a USB mouse or keyboard, or USB printer. Plugging these same devices into that outlet will not give the printer anything to print, or data for the USB hard drive, nor will the keyboard or mouse control anything. So what are they for?

I initially thought maybe they are for charging a cellphone, but my phone came with an AC adaptor charger as well as a 12V car charger. So, why would I need a USB charger, when I already have chargers. I'm not really up on all the latest technology, but I cant see any reason to have these USB wall outlets.

Anyone know their purpose?

Reply to
fred.flintstone

*They are for charging devices without having to use the transformers that plug into the outlet. It is suppose to help reduce the clutter of power supplies that hog regular receptacles.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Yeah. More and more cheap-ass manufacturers are selling their e-products without ac adapters (which they sell separately). The assumption is that most users will routinely charge the device using the USB port on the computer. Since that's not always handy, USB power adapters for car and household use are becoming more commonplace. It's true that an accumulation of ac adapters is messy and a pain to travel with, so that's another justification for acquiring one produce that will permit multiple devices to charge.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

I assume that since these devices have the converter built in, they are constantly "on".

Does that mean that they use just as much electricity as the regular wall worts which many people say should be unplugged when not in use?

I can picture someone (like me) who might opt for the convenience of having USB ports in the kitchen, the bedroom, the shop etc. Am I now powering the equivalent of 3 or 4 or more wall worts 24/7?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That'd be my issue with these, and why I'd rather buy one or two stand-alone units. Just plug them into an outlet when needed. Plus, you'd have one to travel with.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

USB appears to have become a ubiquitous power and communication standard for portable devices that charge their batteries through the USB port. I'd be interested to know the max power that those in wall adapters supply. I doubt they're for anything except supplying low voltage DC power. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

USB 2.0 is .5A at 5V, maximum. If there are two, they should supply .5A each. Apple is telling manufacturers to up that to 2A for the iPad.

Reply to
krw

Heck, a 2amp switching wall wart is tiny so it shouldn't be a problem to build one into something the size of an electrical outlet. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I think we all agree at this point that the only use for the USB ported AC receptacles would be for charging purposes.

The question still remains as to how much power these ports consume. If that match the consumption of a USB ported wall wort charger, then users will be wasting electricity since they will be powered 24/7.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You got it!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

Wouldn't it act like a regular AC outlet? When the USB device is plugged in, it completes the circuit, just like a lamp completes a circuit when plugged in and the lamp is switched on.

Reply to
willshak

It certainly should be possible to design it that way, but if it costs more than 9 cents to implement...

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

This one is a hell of a lot more than 9 cents.

willshak

It may be more than 9 cents to implement, but who cares? If it fits your needs for a particular spot it could be worth the price. As for the possible continuous use of power issue, this would seem to settle that:

"The Smart Power design only outputs enough charging power required by the attached device, while spring-loaded Safety Shutters turn power off to the USB ports when a connecting cable is removed. "

Reply to
trader4

I've not looked at these units in detail, but it would seem to me that it would be a very simple design element to have the USB supply unpowered unless a USB cable was plugged into one or both USB ports. A simple mechanical switch, a few cents worth of materials. Of course people leaving cables plugged in would defeat this, but it would still help overall.

Reply to
Pete C.

Not really, the piggy versions were the linear power supplies that used to come with every device. The current switching power supplies are much more efficient and standby losses are next to nil.

Reply to
George

" Smart Power feature only outputs enough charging power required by the attached device"

Oh dear lord, people are actually going to think that is a special feature. It's like selling water and advertising that it is wet.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I'm surprised by your use of the words "used to come with every device".

Since when are devices being sold that don't come with chargers? Everything that I've bought in the past year (Droid phones, Kindles, Apple iDevices) - including just last month - all came with a charger.

Granted, Apple iDevices use a totally different animal, but I'm surprised to hear that chargers must be purchased separately from some devices.

What and from whom?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't know how much it will help.

I know me. Even if I install 5 of these around the house, odds are that there will be a cable plugged into at least one of them - the last one I used. Just like I don't unplug my phone's wall wort from where it lives, I doubt I'll unplug the cable from the receptacle. I'll just grab my phone and go.

In fact, knowing me, I'll probably buy a couple more cables and plug them into various locations so I can charge my phone where ever I want. I doubt I'll be alone in that practice.

As it stands now, I have a wall wort plugged in 24/7, a USB cable plugged into my home computer 24/7 and a USB cable plugged into my work computer 24/7.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

we have 2 e-book readers, 2 ipads and 3 cell phones in my home. It's about time these stand-alone receptacles came out. They've been on power bars for some time

Reply to
Duesenberg