Wall mount toilet blues

Hello All,

Here is the situation: Just took out an old wall mount toilet. Found a new one at American Standard, the Glenwall series. It is painfully expensive, almost $500 with tax. Ouch.

Anyway, the closet support fixture doesn't look quite right. The waste horn is not centered on the line between the lower studs but about 1/2 inch offset towards the top. Also, the waste horn doesn't protrude the usual 5/16th inch from the finished wall.

Is there any hope or is this pretty must a lost case? Replumbing for a bottom discharge toilet would be extremely painful because of the tight crawl space and difficulty to provide a new vent per code. Just to get to that spot takes a half hour of contortion exercises. Back discharge toilets as the Europeans have are nowhere to be found in the US.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Check dimension sheets from other suppliers (maybe Kohler, Eljer). There is nothing "standard" about American Standard.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Hi Jim,

I did. Neither of them make these toilets anymore. The one I took out was a Kohler as far as I know but they dropped the line when that dreaded 1.6 GPF rule came about. I did check Zurn and their brackets look just like American Standard describes them. But then again, our house was built in 1971 and who knows what has changed since then.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

It could be worse. My downstairs toilet's flange in in a concrete slab. Would you like to trade ?

Reply to
willshak

Hi Will,

Actually I would. These hanging toilets on 2x6 studded walls are a pain because the wall isn't strong like concrete is. So you always have creaking, sagging and so on.

I wish they never invented wall mounts. They don't make any sense except maybe for floor cleaning. Plus they are near-extinct making them very expensive.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Joerg,

Sorry I cant really help with the problem at hand, but I got wall mounted toilets too, and it appears at some point in time one may have been removed downstairs in what is now a utility room--if so, I would like to replace it someday if possible.

Would appreciate if you or anyone else having info on the mounting details for these could post here or email me some links.

Thanks,

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Hi,

It seems the only toilet that is wall mounted and tank operated is the Glenwall:

It costs about $465 or so via hardware stores, plus tax. You also need the gasket. Before ordering make sure your mount is exactly as specified which is where I discovered that ours probably isn't. The reason is that you usually can't return this special order stuff without a substantial restocking fee.

Also, according to the store these were out of stock for a long time so there is a chance that you may not be able to buy one right when you want to.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Special price: $373

I didn't find the dimension sheet for mounting though. In the worst case, you might have to replace the carrier.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks to both of you--I will look at the link tomorrow, its getting late here.

One other thing though, I should be able run a sloan or zurn valve easily from this location as it is right next to the second well pressure tank--means Im not necessarily tied to a tank type flush system.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Hi PrecisionMachinisT.

In that case look at Toto. They have some that are tankless and a lot lower in cost.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg