Wal-Mart and GE are in bed together?

Page 2 of 3
George E. Cawthon wrote:

I do believe my friend who is a reliable and trustworthy person who does hold the position I mentioned.

Unfortunately it really isn't a free market. Since Walmart is the biggest (by far) buyer/seller of consumer goods exactly who else would a manufacturer sell their goods to?

George wrote:

You didn't clarify what you were saying. I gave you two possible alternatives (see the "If's"). So what did your friend mean.
Of course it is a free market. Walmart may be the single biggest, but certainly doesn't dominate the market. In any decent sized town there a dozens of grocery stores, and dozens of other stores (crafts, general, sporting goods, etc) that compete with Walmart.

To anyone they please. Stihl has been bragging that you won't find their products in the big box stores and for good reason. They have dealers that give great service.
If you want volume, sell to Wal-Mart. If you want profits, sell through other distribution points.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

There may be a few manufacturers such as the one you have cited that have ignored Walmart which gives the illusion of a free market but by and large Walmart is the largest (by very far) retail business in the US.
wrote Re Re: Wal-Mart and GE are in bed together?:

WalMart is indeed the 500 lb gorilla in the market place. It used to be Sears, but they stumbled. WalMart will stumble too. There are two WalMart super stores within 25 miles of me. During the past six years I have notice that both of them have become disgusting places to shop. The check out time is way longer than anyplace else, the rest rooms are filthy and the last piece of electronic equipment I bought I bought at Target for 10% less than SAMs was selling it.
It looks to me like they are maintaining their profit margin by skipping essential services. That can't last long.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

Put the blame where it belongs, whit the US Government. Wal-Mart had a good janitorial service, but since the government cracked down on the use of illegal immigrants and substandard wages, something had to go. IIRC, WM promised to get a better contractor and paid a big fine. Its the damned laws creating these problems

American customers are not the cleanest folks, especially not the unwashed masses that Wally caters to. Check out the E-Coli infection rates of USA
I've been in countries where the public restrooms didn't ever *become* very grotty in a day, or even a week.
"George E. Cawthon" wrote: ....

That's a quite exclusive definition of "decent sized town"... :(
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:28:10 -0500, Duane Bozarth

Yeah. To me a decent siz town is one with it's own post office.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

Duane Bozarth wrote:

I must have had a bad day, since I rather like smaller towns. I think I was referring to towns with a populations of around 100,000.
"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

That's quite a large city out here...only three I can think of offhand in the state.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

But collectively they don't add up to more than ~15% of Walmarts volume. If you are a manufacturer you cannot ignore someone if thay are buying 85% of your production.

Smart companies don't let one customer become 85% of their sales. We had one that was about 35% a few years back and they were similar in tactics. One year we got a letter from them that read: Thank you for your past work in supplying us. Next year we expect a 25% reduction in price. We also want a 6% rebate for last years purchases."
We told them to go to hell and where do you want the tools shipped. The new supplier is teetering on bankruptcy. We had a couple of lean years, but survived and are as profitable as ever. Just like any relationship, if it becomes abusive, you have to call it quits.

Goodonya. Too many businesses don't understand that firing a customer can be a positive.
It's called buying in bulk duh!!! Just like you and I they get a better deal by buying in bulk end of story.

"George E. Cawthon" <GeorgeC-Boise worldnet.att.net> wrote:

Who's bashing? Questioning Wal-Marts practices causes you discomfort for some reason?

John Doe wrote:

Ah but there was no questioning of Walmart's practices. A statement was made as to what Walmart demands. And a statement was made that walmart products/appliance are of lower quality. That's not questioning practices that and indictment of what those practices results in. No one presented any proof, just statements and that is "bashing."
But you are right it does cause discomfort as I suspect that such statements cannot be fully backed up but are made from some motive other than to provide the truth. Note that I don't say that the claims are untrue, only that no proof ever seems to be forthcoming.
OTOH, I suspect that most of what Walmart sells is identical to what other stores sell. Is Skippy peanut butter different if purchased at Walmart? Is the Pennzoil sold by Walmart inferior in quality? Is the crappy tool that you bought at Walmart any poorer value than the same crappy tool sold elsewhere? Are you afraid that that DVD of a John Wayne movie will deteriorate faster than the 50 percent higher one sold at store X?
This is a common practice, large purchasers order special models that do not appear in the manufacturer's standard product line, usually they are higher line products with a few features removed to make them appear to be cheaper. This has been going on for the past 40 years that I am aware of.

In some cases there could be differences. But I think in many cases, the real differences are slight or non-existant. I saw this when looking for TV's a couple years ago. Costco had models that were by all appearance and spec identical, but had a couple diff letters in the model number. I think in that case, the main reason for doing the diff product number was to avoid pissing off the regular shops that carrry the same Toshiba product.
The repair technicians in sci.electronics.repair routinely note deficiencies in the circuits of walmart TV's that look otherwise identical to standard models. The consumer might not notice until problems develop.