VOIP OPINION

Page 2 of 2
On 10/28/2015 02:46 PM, Frank wrote:

Our first experience with VOIP was when we ported our AT&T landline number to T-Mobile's no-longer-offered T-Mobile@Home $10/mo. add-on to our cell-phone plan. That seemed to work fine, but we were unable to keep it when we switched from a prepaid cell-phone plan to month-by-month.
We then ported that number to Google Voice (with the Obihai VOIP box). This was possible because our number now counted as a cellular number; I don't know about now, but then only cellular numbers could be ported to GV.
Then for a period of several months GV became unusable with the Obihai boxes, and it was at that time we got the PhonePower service. We still have the GV number as a "public" one that forwards to the PhonePower number, which we give out to very few people; outgoing calls show up as the GV number too. Everything works fine.
Perce
On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 15:47:20 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

Up here in Ontario Canada, I have used MagicJack - which gives north america-wide free calling and local numbers are available in most places, but no porting of numbers in Canada although they have been promising it for about 5 years. Cost, over and above the cost of the device is something like $18 per year.
I bought an OOMA box for home - porting the number cost $39.00, monthly charge is $4-ish and free long distance anywhere in Canada.
Phone voice quality is good. Occaisionally I get an echo - but no more than on my cell (actually gnerally better)
On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 2:46:23 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

You just request Ooma to port it over, which you can do online. I think they charge $40 to do it.

One thing to be aware of is a problem I ran into when trying to port with MajicJack. Only a single, basic line can be ported. In my case I had distinctive ring with a second number set up on my Verizon landline. I had used the second ring # for a fax in the past, but hadn't used it in so long that I didn't even think about it. So, I put a port request into MJ. Their system accepted the port request and a few days later, it came back that they could not port it for the above reason. OK, so you'd think that would be easy to solve. It was on the Verizon side. I just had them put the line back to the basic service. Of course that also cost me another month service on Verizon. So, then I go back to MJ and try to put the port request in again on their system and now their system won't accept that number to port. It just said "this number cannot be ported", where previously it had accepted it and tried. Clearly this is a MJ issue. I wasted a lot of time in chat with MJ support and all they have were idiots, chatting in broken English. No one could escalate it, address it, etc. That's when I took the thing back to RadioShack.
So, if you're going to do a port, make sure you don't run into that problem.

I have been using 1-VOIP (previously called "VOIP Your Life") since 2007. I pay $20.55 per month, which includes 500 minutes in the US and Canada. We make very few phone calls and have never come anywhere close to 500 minutes in a month. It comes with a variety of call filtering options, voice mail, and virtual phone numbers.
It has worked very well for us. We haven't had any issues except for my own network problem that prevented incoming calls from getting through. I reset my modem, router, and switches and never had the problem again.
I had a different VOIP provider before 2007 (don't remember their name), but they went out of business.
Before we switched to VOIP our local phone company charged almost $100 per month (We're in a rural area). That was with NO long distance, and NO filtering options of any kind. All of our family, and even stores in the closest town were all long distance. Once I could get high speed internet, switching to VOIP was a no brainer.
Because of the terrain here, we can't get reliable cell signals so that route was not an option.
On Thursday, November 12, 2015 at 11:29:07 AM UTC-5, HerHusband wrote:

Check out Ooma. $4 a month, hardware costs $120 max, you can find it for half that on Ebay. I've been using it 8 months now, works very well for me. Sound quality is overall very good. Sometimes I do hear a slight echo, but not really bad. I'd say it's not as good as the premier VOIP, eg Vonage or your local cable company, but close enough that for $4, it's a great deal.