vacuum hose problem

I use a vacuum cleaner hose as a syphon to clean out the water boxes that are part of my spring water supply system. They collect a bit of sand/mud in the bottom and have to be cleaned out from time to time. Ordinary (1 1/4"?) vacuum cleaner hose has the right size & flexibility for the job, BUT.. it gets tiny holes in the hose that are hard to find/fix but louse up the syphon because of the air leak.
What kind of hose would be more durable? It really needs to be very flexable, hold a small vacuum (12-18" h2o)without collapsing, and about 1-1.5" ID.
Any help[ appreciated
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Nick Hull wrote:

Nick Hull wrote:

--
Unkle Megs

Nick:
NH> I use a vacuum cleaner hose as a syphon to clean out the water boxes NH> that are part of my spring water supply system. They collect a bit of NH> sand/mud in the bottom and have to be cleaned out from time to time. NH> Ordinary (1 1/4"?) vacuum cleaner hose has the right size & flexibility NH> for the job, BUT.. it gets tiny holes in the hose that are hard to NH> find/fix but louse up the syphon because of the air leak. NH> NH> What kind of hose would be more durable? It really needs to be very NH> flexable, hold a small vacuum (12-18" h2o)without collapsing, and about NH> 1-1.5" ID. What about using an (old) garden hose? Admittedly much smaller in diameter but may be sufficient. You'll probably need an adapter -- check if one for adding a hose to a wet-dry shop vac would work.
Another option would be to go to the hardware store to the plumbing department. Should be a wide selection of tubing there; select one of the thicker ones.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Q: What happens when bomb goes off in herd of cows? A: Udder destruction!
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
snipped-for-privacy@rime.org (barry martin) wrote:

The big shop vac hoses (2.5"?) are too big, the smaller ones are just right but they appear to be the same flimsy stuff that regular vacuum cleaners use.

Large selection of stiff durable hoses; too stiff to work in my application, I have top move it around as I am 'vacuuming'.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Go to a swimming pool supply company and tell them what you want and need it for. They have all sizes and kinds of flexible/non-collapsible hose for use between pool and pump. Nick Hull wrote:

pool vacuum hose should work fine
You know as long as you don't have too much water you might just want to use a shop vac!
Wayne