Repairing vacuum cleaner hose assembly

We have a Dyson-dc05-motorhead vacuum cleaner. The Hose assembly is losing electrical contact, which is causing the motorhead to stop and start when vacuuming. A new hose assembly can be obtained I know, but they are very expensive. Can any diy repair be successfully carried out? Or would it be a waste of time? Thanks for advice.

Reply to
john bently

Unsure how old the DC05 is, but I think Dyson still do a 5 year warranty on all parts. Our hose split a few years ago. I rang Dyson and they sent me out a replacement no questions asked (well, apart from the serial number).

slider

its eight years old and replacement hose assembly i've told are about £50

Reply to
john bently

I'd invest in a new vacuum then.

slider

One waste of time has already been incurred......... ;o(

We bought a Dyson.

Once.

When we took it to the recycling tip a couple of years later, there were stacks of them lined up dumped.

Which tells us something about Dysons.

Reply to
Ian

yup, people are too thick to maintain them, they believe that 'no loss of suction' thing, and no bags needed, and hence use them with only an occasional emptying of the dust bin,

i take mine appart every year and blow all the acumilated dust from the small parts of the cyclone cones,

been going fine for 7 to 8 years with nothing more than a wash of the filter and the occasional unblocking when i suck up a sheet of paper or a big sock.

Reply to
Gazz

I've got a Dyson DC01 still going strong...

must be at least 12 years old

Reply to
char

Surely it is not the age, but how many hours running it has done ?

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

From across the pond, but our products are similar. Most likely you'll find one of two things wrong:

  1. Where the wand connects to the vac & hand piece, a widened pin making bad connection. That can usually be detected just by wiggling the parts at the junctions.
  2. More likely, if there is a head that allows you to rotate to get the vacuum tool end in & under furniture, etc., a wire is broken in the area that moves there. I've fixed several and that's always been the problem. Disassemble the vacuum head & look for the wires. Pull off any drive belts so you can test-run the motor safely.
Reply to
Twayne

I agree with you Mike on that point..

all i can say is that it has not lived in a box for 12 years...

and it has sucked up loads of dog hair over the years..

I'm not looking to replace it any time soon...

Probably blow up tomorrow ;)

Regards

Reply to
char

It may be used, but for a tenner this may keep you going

Chewbacca

my parents still have their DC01, it's been religated to use in the garage for the past 5 years sucking up nails, sawdust and all other crap off the floor and used with power tools to extract dust,

they got a newer version when they got bored with it, one of them with the multiple mini cyclones, i then had that one when i moved out, and they bought the latest model, that was a couple of years ago, and all 3 dysons are still working fine, ok the DC01 dosent look too smart after being bashed around, paint dripped over it, you can hardly see in the dust bin due to all the abrasive stuff that's been swirling around it, but it still works in the same way it did when new, just that one needs those replaceable filters, but never used genuine dyson ones in it anyway, the other 2 ones have washable filters,

i do remember a GF i had once, had a dyson that stoped working and she was about to dump it, i took the filter out from under the dust bin and it was blacker than tarmac, she said she never knew about it, but of course that's the one over the motor, hence the motor would run for 2 mins then cut out, i replaced the filter and it was still working when i left her,

Reply to
Gazz

many thanks and to all who posted such helfpul advice. thanks

Reply to
john bently