VACUUM HOSE

I just built a plenum using the studs of my workshop as the sides and on the outside of the shop, I have mounted a large squirrel-cage blower. I will put a thin plywood cover over the studs thereby forming a suction box and I can plug in the hose for various tools such as radial-are saw and planer.

The hose runs will be about ten feet at the longest. What cheap size/type/source hose would be best for this vacuum system? I searched google but had too many hits to make a selection so I thought I would ask those who have done this.

Thanks

Cass

Reply to
Cass

Preston Andreas

I'm concerned about how effective this system will be. If I understand what you've built you have the stud bays which measure 3.5" x 14.5" (2x4s on 16 in centers) forming the duct. This yields a cross section of 0.35 sq ft, about equivalent to an 8" dia round duct, except that you have rougher surfaces and square corners so your drag will be greater than a smooth round duct.

To effectively move saw dust a minimum velocity in the duct should be at least 3,500 ft/min. For your stud bay this will require over 1,200 cu ft/min of air, more than most home dust collectors can achieve.

If I misunderstood and you have enclosed the bays in the ceiling which may be 2x10s on 16 in centers your blower needs to move well over 3,200 cu ft/min.

Am I missing something here?

Phil

Cass wrote:

Reply to
Phil

Phil,

I don't know if you are missing anything. The plenum is 16x16x3.5". There is so much suction that I don't need to screw or nail the plenum cover on as it sucks it up tightly to the 2x4s and I mean tightly. This is no slouch of a blower.

Naturally, I will secure the cover and seal any leaks with a gasket.

Thanks to Preston for the input about the hose.

Cass

Reply to
Cass

correction: the box is ~ 14.5 x 14.5", as you said.

Reply to
Cass

nope, nudder correction: it is 14.5 x 16 x 3.5"

Reply to
Cass

What is the HP of the motor, and the diameter and thickness of the blower?

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

I will look tomorrow.

In the meantime, I will guess that it is 1/3 h.p., 12" dia. and 12" thick blower.

Cass

Reply to
Cass

Jim,

Did you get my information that you had asked for?

Why were you asking?

Cass

Reply to
Cass

No I didn't,other than a guess.

The post was about using a squirrel cage blower and wall cavity for dust collection.

If I interpret the guess right, it is a blower from a furnace. It will not work because it does not create enough suction, and will get clogged from wood chips. A DC will have at least 2 HP and a non clog impeller.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

Jim,

At what point do you think mine will stop working?

Cass

Reply to
Cass

Your what? Describe please.