Repairing vacuum cleaner - worth the trouble?

Our Electrolux 350 sounds as if the motor is about to pack up. Checked filters etc, but it does look like burnout is near!

Is it worth trying to get and fix a replacement motor (ie is it economic?). If so, any pointers to a supplier of such motors appreciated.

If it's not worth it, any reccommendation for new a cleaner and supplier (on web maybe?). I'm not keen on those cyclone things - prefer a conventional one really.

Thanks.

Reply to
dave

It may be simply needing a bearing replacemnt. My much abused hoover wet+dry vac - which has been used for everything from vacuuming up water (with water ending up spraying through it) to vacuuming sand up from a hole, sounds much better, with the bearings replaced. (was making screaming noises) Got the bearings from a local bearing supply house.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Check ebay for a spare motor..failing this, try your local "household recycling centre" for spares.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

More info would be great i.e whats the motor doing? Could be just worn brushes if its a brush motor?

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I haven't attempt to take it apart yet - but the sound is that the motor is running down in speed. Not to zero but a definite drop in revs, Bit of a "windings overheating" type smell too.

Reply to
dave

probably not, though sometimes it can be.

the tip is the cheapest place. Anything else will likely not be economic.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Typical of insulation breakdown creating a shorted winding, possibly induced by overheating at some point. Ceased bearing is another possibility -- you could try spinning the armature by hand to see how free it is, but beware the drive shaft can be damn hot in such circumstances.

Worn brushes don't generally result in burning smell.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Does if the motors grunting(slowing down),bit like having a drill stuck in the wall and keeping your finger on the button.