house building costs

Can anyone give me any ideas of how to do the costings on a new build i

books, web sites etc .I am thinking of a timber frame construction, an views on this type of build

-- rayabbots

Reply to
rayabbots

I was looking into this a while ago - timber-frame specifically.

ISTR that several of the timber-frame manufacturers had lots of guidance about kit costs as a proportion of final cost.

Without looking it up again (Google !) - I think that they reckoned on the basic timber kit representing 1/3 to 1/2 of the final value of the property - e.g. a £100k kit would 'build' a £200k house - though they do point out that a lot depends on the final 'level' of finish (gold-plated taps etc !)

The great advantage of timber-frame seemed to be that you get a watertight roof & walls on very quickly - so you're less at the mercy of the Great British Weather - and your tradesmen don't have to hang around waiting for it to stop raining / snowing etc.

Hope this helps Adrian Suffolk UK ======return email munged================= take out the papers and the trash to reply

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

on grand designs, c£53k for a 4 bed, all in + land.

now, if I can just find some land with opp for less than £100k ...

Reply to
.

I can reccommend The Housebuilder's Bible:

David

Reply to
Lobster