Utility Knife

Page 3 of 4
RicodJour wrote:

I bought a Starrett utility knife a couple of weeks ago. It had good heft and was very comfortable in the hand. It required a screwdriver to change blades. Worse still, the thumb push blade retractor broke right off after about 2 days. Maybe I can find a Mitutoyo one someplace!
I'm going to check out the Lawson and the Lenox. I had the Stanley that sort of split open and it crapped out on me too. I'm using an ancient fixed blade Stanley (199?) right now. The screw's damn near stripped clean! But you can't break it.
JP
Jay Pique wrote:

Correction - the knife that crapped out was one that had an automatic blade changing mechanism. I think it might have been a Sheffield. It was sort of bulky, and you'd pull the blade retractor mechanism all the way back to grab a new blade. It worked rough from the get go, and crapped out after a month or so of average (for a construction worker) use.
JP

Most frequent kitchen accident? . . . . . . per ER stats, hand slices from bagel cutting.
Well, you'll be glad to know, the new autoloading utility knife works! I drew some blood with it. ;)

This puts you in the "no sharp instrument" filter......
Orne "My doctor says I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

must be at least a dozen times maybe even two dozen. Only once seriously but these are nasty tools. The Olfa allows you to leave 3 inches of razor sharp blade exposed. Great for cutting insulation batts but very dangerous as well. The upside of an Olfa is you always have a sharp point due to the snap off blade meaning it doesn't slide across surfaces an attack you like the regular utility knife blades.
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:02:00 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

I've cut myself many times: the worse was slipping on the edge of a jagged tile, give me a knife - won't hurt so bad.
I saved my fingers early by leaving one butcher shop apprentice job as a teen.

Try hopping an 8ft rusty barbed wire chain link fence as a kid and the wire snaps as you go over the top holding it between the barbs. You fall and natural tendance is to grasp hands closed. First time I saw my bones not on an x-ray.
OK, so it's not a tool story. Made ya cringe though didn't it?
p.s. Yep, just looked. Scar still there from wrist to almost tip of middle finder.
Oren wrote:

But I thought _dull_ tools were the dangerous ones! ;)
I always get some nick or cut on every project. The lion's share being little more than a scrape. But it happens on every project. Some projects I'm cruising along nicely, nearing the end, and I haven't cut myself. Ohmigod! It's going to happen, it's going to sneak up on me and happen! Don't think for a moment that it's some sort of neuroses, because the psycohses have killed them off. Yet, inevitably, it happens.
The world is funny like that.

It's why I' not allowed the devices. I have a collection knives and supervise myself, little does it help.
Oren
Its little off topic but a good while back I bought some blades, they were called "blue blades" from Irwin. Anyways I have gone through countless blades but these ones outlasted every other brand I have used by at least 2x.They flex rather than break too, which I liked.
I don't drywall at all anymore and I have little use for blades. If I did I would buy a lot though. As soon as they make something good it usually gets yanked from the market since it cuts future margin. Either that or they will slowly reduce the quality.
Home Depot has a nice knife. It's like a lock back jacknife but with a replaceable blade. The blades are regular utility blades. This knife on ebay isn't exactly like the one I have but it will give you an idea of what it looks like. Because it folds up, I carry it in my pocket all the time.
http://cgi.ebay.com/UTILITY-KNIFE-POCKET-KNIFE-NEW-W-EXTRA-RAZORS_W0QQitemZ7592453539QQcategoryZ46578QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
--
JerryD(upstateNY)

http://tinyurl.com/r8poc
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Haven't see it mentioned, but I have a full sized utility knife that uses snap off blades like the smaller Olfa knife. I don't always use it whenever a knife is needed, but when I'm doing a lot of cutting like slicing up leather, it's handy to be able to snap off 1/2" of blade and have a new edge for immediate use. Works out a quite a bit faster and cheaper than replacing a number of regular utility blades.

much longer than most blades. I have a Mastercraft that uses regular 2 point blades that is very easy change but rarely use it.
This my Olfa very heavy duty and scary as hell with the blade extended. http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/olfablades_1876_3789649 * Largest and heaviest snap-off knife on the market * Uses blades that are 40% larger than conventional knife blades * Unbreakable ABS handle * Stainless-steel blade channel * Ratcheting wheel lock * Anti-slip rubber grip * Includes one blade

That too much tool for a little man like you Skippy. I have one as well. But I actually know how to use it.
After reading your original message I went to EBay and looked over this vendors products. Bought the Lawson knife with side-loading blades and just got it a few minutes ago. It's everything he advertised and more. It's already become my favorite instrument for maiming and hacking up myself. Can't wait to see how much blood I will lose.
Seems to be heavier built than a Stanley Knife, has some rubber coating for grip, little door pops open on the side to side-load a pack of blades (comes with 6, 1 in the carrier and 5 in the storage drawer.) Wording on storage door indicates 5 blades in storage is max.
Removing a dull blade is easy, just press a button in the front and the old blade pulls right out. Slide the blade carrier back and fwd again and it loads a new fresh blade (total time to load a new blade is 3-5 seconds, including removing the old one). Can turn the old blade front-to-back and pop it back in to use the sharp end.
Also bought a box of 10 packs of 3-blade (30 total) off same seller as knife (Cripe Distributing). Has Lenox edge, shatter-resistant, bi-metal, suppose to last 3x longer, for $7. Haven't used them yet, but they look like excellent quality.
All-in-all very well satisfied with utility knife and very highly recommend it. Always hated having to use a screwdriver to open the Stanley Knife and put new blades in. Here's the vendor's EBay store, seems to carry all kinds of utility knives and other tools: http://stores.ebay.com/Cripe-Distributing
Thanks for sharing your find. Dennis

Dennis wrote:

You're welcome. A large part of my posting was my dissatisfaction with Stanley's marketing and product line. They are currently running ads about their old knife which has a push button near the front to change blades - they're promoting it as "automatic" and "new". It is neither.
Stanley is the 900 pound gorilla (you have a problem with that?!) and does pretty much what it pleases. There is no reason for them to update their product line in the "more boring" categories if there is no market demand for them to do so. Hopefully, by making people aware that there are alternatives to Stanley, I have helped in some small way.
PS I'm not a Stanley basher. I have a large collection of antique Stanley tools, some of which are daily users, and it would still be a chore to wrest them from my cold, dead hands.
Thanks for the tip, I just went to ebay and bought 2...
--
Zak/USMC/F 2-11/Viet Nam/\'68-\'69