Using weed killer

And as others have said, temperature plays a big role. If it's 70s and the weeds are actively growing, it's going to kill them faster and more effectively than if it's 40F. Even in the best of times you're not going to see them totally dead in just a few days.

Reply to
trader_4

I had a lot of asparagus fern growing in hedges when I lived in Florida; IMO, the stuff should be banned, along with loosestrife. I could not possibly dig the stuff out, as it has masses of tubers. I cut it down as much as I could, waited til it had a couple of inches of new growth, then sprayed it with Roundup. I repeated that once and it was gone! It is nasty stuff, as it bears berries that birds like to spread around. Boston Ivy is another nasty when it gets loose; my mom put some in her yard and it killed a good sized oak tree.

Reply to
Norminn

If you really want to kill stuff, bump up to Brush B Gone. That is basically Garlon in homeowner strength,

Use it straight out of the jug on tough weeds (poison ivy, air potato, brazilian pepper).

Reply to
gfretwell

Were they still in high school, I hope?

Was he still in high school?

He really dones't like flowers!

I just got off the phone with a friend. When he and his family moved to a new old house, he went around cleaning things up. On top of the hall closet (which didnt' reach the semi-cathedral ceiling) he found a box or two with wires, so he cut them out. It turns out the box was the receiver for the remote control so someone coming home at niight could turn on 2 floodlights at each of the four corners of the house, 8 big floodlights. After he cut the thing out, of course that didn't work anymore.

It was hand-designed and assembled, and spread over the wall in his basement, the latching relay and another relay and the wires to the top of the closet (and a manual switch to turn the lights on), and it took me an hour to figure out how it all worked. I bought a receiver for about 4 dollars that seemed to burn out right away, and the online vendor sent me another one, that also seemed to work for a second and then burn out. They had no specs but I still thought they would work with the small current to the relay coil. But after that I found a transmitter and receiver at Sears, for Sears and other garage door openers. I installed that, and tested it from 20 feet past the far curb, and it worked fine. But for some reason they're not using it. I asked him and he just mumbled. His wife is 67 and walks slowly for overweight or some medical reason, and she's probably not going to slim down.

So I don't know why it doesn't work now, but it doesn 't.

Reply to
micky

dpb wrote in news:ljbkmp$qj0$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

In the 90s. Soil very dry.

Pre-mixed.

Reply to
KenK

Norminn wrote in news:v_SdnaFHkeww98TOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Yes. Far SW AZ.

Pre-mixed.

Reply to
KenK

micky wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You're not kidding. In very small black print on a dark green background.

Reply to
KenK

"dadiOH" wrote in news:ljddeo$3hc$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Thanks. Live and learn.

Reply to
KenK

Pre-mixed weed killer is worse than buying pre-mixed antifreeze. At least with pre-mixed antifreeze, you're only paying 2X. With weedkillers, it could be 10X+. Generally, the more concentrated, it is the less expensive it is per gallon applied. If you need anymore than a very minimal amount, buying a tank sprayer and the concentrated form is the way to go.

Reply to
trader_4

Yeah, I wonder who chooses the colors. I bought a digital meter from Amazon with, for a couple settings, dark green writing on a black background, and even though I turned on a bright light and saw what they are, under normal conditions, I can't see enough to remind me.

Do you think the light is different in China?

Reply to
micky

Agreed. And if you buy concentrate, don't buy it at HD, Lowes, et al...buy it at an agricultural chemical supply place. For example, the last RoundUp/Rodeo I bought was a 2.5 gallon jug of concentrate, enough to make

200-300 gallons. Cost was $45. If that is more than you need, sell it to your neighbors (at a profit, of course).
Reply to
dadiOH

BTW, the joke was that he complained about all the warnings, so I warned him about the warnings.

Tomorrow became today and I looked.

Almost half of the dandelions are drooping, and the others may be drooping by tomorrow. At first I thought new ones had opened since yesterday, and maybe they have, but I also saw those about to open that were drooping badly. So even the new ones are likely to die, I think.

I guess I've never used weed poison whilie the dandelions were flowering, because I thought they were invincible. But they're not.

Some rain today and tomorrow. I will spray on Sunday.

Reply to
micky

Vines really kill trees? How do they do that? They can't squeeze them to death, can they? Like a boa constrictor?

Reply to
micky

You may be thinking of Bush V Gore, but no one died from that.

Reply to
micky

Yes, my 10X+ estimate was conservative. If you buy 3 gallons of the

50% stuff, the cost advantage is many times that. I bought 3 gallons of glyphosate for about ~80 a decade ago. It's just about gone now. IDK how much I've made, but I've filled up my 3 gallon backpack sprayer many times. I used it to kill my entire lawn for a renovation, among other things. Probably made somewhere around your 200 gallon number and I still have maybe 20% of it left.
Reply to
trader_4

But the price of gly has come down quite a bit over the past ten years, so you didn't save as much as you thought. But, there is the savings in trips to the store, too.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Forget about the trips to the store. I paid ~$80 for I think it was

3 gallons a decade ago. DaddiOh says he just paid $45 for 2.5 gallons. I see online where 2.5 or 3 gallons is $65. So, who cares if the price has come down a little? The point is that if you buy the pre-mixed you're paying 10 or 30X that price, not that 3 gallons of 50% concentrate is $25 less today. You're saving $1000+ so who cares about +/- $25?
Reply to
trader_4

yes, of course. I was just chiming in. I have my own stash of gly, etc. in the big jugs and high concentrations. But I limited my purchases when I knew the price was going to be coming down - buying just a couple 2.5 gallon jugs, rather than more. Timing is everything.

Reply to
Pico Rico

College but just started it.

Nope.

Yeah. He calls them weeds.

That's the sort of thing my husband would do. Daughter once came in yelling, "Mom! He's done a bad thing. Took down something that looks important from the roof of the back house." Turns out it was the gutter. Why did he take it down? Dunno. So now we have some rotted siding. He did put some gutter back up after I got after him but it is white. The rest of the gutter is green. So now when I look out there I think I see snow.

That sucks. I try not to mess with stuff if I don't know what it is.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Some vines, like the Japanese honeysuckle, climb up the trees, trying to reach the sunlight, and wind up blanketing branches and leaves, blocking the sun and eventually smothering the trees, along with shrubs and wildflowers beneath them. Others, like the bittersweet, strangle the trees by girdling them in ever-tightening, ever-thickening circles -- damaging older trees and killing saplings, the new generation. They also harbor pests that burrow into the tree bark and compete with the tree for nourishment at the roots.

Reply to
Robert Green