Using weed killer

Page 2 of 3

You aren't doing anything wrong, your expectations are just too high.
First, the leaves shrivel, then the stem. In a month or so it will be gone.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Friday, April 25, 2014 6:29:16 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

And as others have said, temperature plays a big role. If it's 70s and the weeds are actively growing, it's going to kill them faster and more effectively than if it's 40F. Even in the best of times you're not going to see them totally dead in just a few days.

If you really want to kill stuff, bump up to Brush B Gone. That is basically Garlon in homeowner strength,
Use it straight out of the jug on tough weeds (poison ivy, air potato, brazilian pepper).
On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 03:16:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"

Were they still in high school, I hope?

Was he still in high school?

He really dones't like flowers!

I just got off the phone with a friend. When he and his family moved to a new old house, he went around cleaning things up. On top of the hall closet (which didnt' reach the semi-cathedral ceiling) he found a box or two with wires, so he cut them out. It turns out the box was the receiver for the remote control so someone coming home at niight could turn on 2 floodlights at each of the four corners of the house, 8 big floodlights. After he cut the thing out, of course that didn't work anymore.
It was hand-designed and assembled, and spread over the wall in his basement, the latching relay and another relay and the wires to the top of the closet (and a manual switch to turn the lights on), and it took me an hour to figure out how it all worked. I bought a receiver for about 4 dollars that seemed to burn out right away, and the online vendor sent me another one, that also seemed to work for a second and then burn out. They had no specs but I still thought they would work with the small current to the relay coil. But after that I found a transmitter and receiver at Sears, for Sears and other garage door openers. I installed that, and tested it from 20 feet past the far curb, and it worked fine. But for some reason they're not using it. I asked him and he just mumbled. His wife is 67 and walks slowly for overweight or some medical reason, and she's probably not going to slim down.
So I don't know why it doesn't work now, but it doesn 't.

College but just started it.

Nope.

Yeah. He calls them weeds.

That's the sort of thing my husband would do. Daughter once came in yelling, "Mom! He's done a bad thing. Took down something that looks important from the roof of the back house." Turns out it was the gutter. Why did he take it down? Dunno. So now we have some rotted siding. He did put some gutter back up after I got after him but it is white. The rest of the gutter is green. So now when I look out there I think I see snow.

That sucks. I try not to mess with stuff if I don't know what it is.

In the 90s. Soil very dry.

Pre-mixed.

On Friday, April 25, 2014 1:24:36 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:

Pre-mixed weed killer is worse than buying pre-mixed antifreeze. At least with pre-mixed antifreeze, you're only paying 2X. With weedkillers, it could be 10X+. Generally, the more concentrated, it is the less expensive it is per gallon applied. If you need anymore than a very minimal amount, buying a tank sprayer and the concentrated form is the way to go.

Yes. Far SW AZ.

Pre-mixed.

You're not kidding. In very small black print on a dark green background.

Thanks. Live and learn.

Yeah, I wonder who chooses the colors. I bought a digital meter from Amazon with, for a couple settings, dark green writing on a black background, and even though I turned on a bright light and saw what they are, under normal conditions, I can't see enough to remind me.
Do you think the light is different in China?

Agreed. And if you buy concentrate, don't buy it at HD, Lowes, et al...buy it at an agricultural chemical supply place. For example, the last RoundUp/Rodeo I bought was a 2.5 gallon jug of concentrate, enough to make 200-300 gallons. Cost was $45. If that is more than you need, sell it to your neighbors (at a profit, of course).
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Friday, April 25, 2014 4:27:20 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

Yes, my 10X+ estimate was conservative. If you buy 3 gallons of the 50% stuff, the cost advantage is many times that. I bought 3 gallons of glyphosate for about ~80 a decade ago. It's just about gone now. IDK how much I've made, but I've filled up my 3 gallon backpack sprayer many times. I used it to kill my entire lawn for a renovation, among other things. Probably made somewhere around your 200 gallon number and I still have maybe 20% of it left.

BTW, the joke was that he complained about all the warnings, so I warned him about the warnings.

Tomorrow became today and I looked.
Almost half of the dandelions are drooping, and the others may be drooping by tomorrow. At first I thought new ones had opened since yesterday, and maybe they have, but I also saw those about to open that were drooping badly. So even the new ones are likely to die, I think.
I guess I've never used weed poison whilie the dandelions were flowering, because I thought they were invincible. But they're not.
Some rain today and tomorrow. I will spray on Sunday.

Vines really kill trees? How do they do that? They can't squeeze them to death, can they? Like a boa constrictor?
On 4/25/2014 4:35 PM, micky wrote:

Easy.......tough vines wrap around the tree, tree grows and the vines strangle the tree. Old fashioned way of killing trees was to cut through bark all the way around a tree.
On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 11:16:26 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You may be thinking of Bush V Gore, but no one died from that.

But the price of gly has come down quite a bit over the past ten years, so you didn't save as much as you thought. But, there is the savings in trips to the store, too.
On Friday, April 25, 2014 6:06:45 PM UTC-4, Pico Rico wrote:

Forget about the trips to the store. I paid ~$80 for I think it was 3 gallons a decade ago. DaddiOh says he just paid $45 for 2.5 gallons. I see online where 2.5 or 3 gallons is $65. So, who cares if the price has come down a little? The point is that if you buy the pre-mixed you're paying 10 or 30X that price, not that 3 gallons of 50% concentrate is $25 less today. You're saving $1000+ so who cares about +/- $25?

yes, of course. I was just chiming in. I have my own stash of gly, etc. in the big jugs and high concentrations. But I limited my purchases when I knew the price was going to be coming down - buying just a couple 2.5 gallon jugs, rather than more. Timing is everything.