Using weed killer

Easy.......tough vines wrap around the tree, tree grows and the vines strangle the tree. Old fashioned way of killing trees was to cut through bark all the way around a tree.

Reply to
Norminn

Well, I should have thought of this one, the converse of the vine squeezing the tree.

Thanks Oren, Robert, Norminn.

BTW, we had a tree that was staked with wire guys wrapped in rubber tire, and no one thought to undo the wires. Over several years, the rubber got squeezed and cut by the growing tree, and it fell off, and the bark overgrew the wires and we finally cut off the long parts of the wire, but the wire circling the tree we had to leave in place. Of course the wire was a lot thinner than a vine, and the tree was a particular kind.

Reply to
micky

A list here

of perennial lawn weeds. (american-lawns.com)

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Blah blah blah:

I've been a home owner for over 30 years with 3 different houses with large lawns. (I'm not counting the lawns I cared for as a kid) I've NEVER encountered a plant I couldn't control without herbicides. Granted, some took persistence but chemicals don't always work effectively and many, if not most, have unintended consequences.

"American Lawns" Bought and paid for by Monsanto I'm sure. Go ahead and put that crap on your lawns. My lawn will always be the greenest and fullest lawn in the neighborhood while Joe smuck pours some goofy chemical on his lawn and probably won't read the directions and probably can't understand them anyway. His lawn will still look like crap. I've seen it over and over and over. If you want a healthy looking lawn DUMP your chemicals and use compost to build up your grass. Treating weeds with herbicides is not the way to do it.

"Perennial weeds" ooooh I'm so scared. LOL

Suckers.

Reply to
gonjah

You obviously know nothing about weeds from hell. Try Field Bindweed AKA M orning Glory. Pullign it does not work as the roots are mere threads, brea k one and a new plant comes up, seeds last in the soil for over 20 years. I bought this place in 1976 and am still finding the odd sprig here and th ere. The only type chemicals that gives one even a fighting chance are tho se such as gly that kill the roots so the roots die. Even that takes repe ated patrolling for years afterward to catch new plants coming up from seed , plants you didn't see etc. It also has the nice habit of being able to c hoke out any competition.

Another case of a blowhard trying to claim that there is only one right way to do something.

Kudzu anyone?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Morning Glory. Pullign it does not work as the roots are mere threads, br eak one and a new plant comes up, seeds last in the soil for over 20 years . I bought this place in 1976 and am still finding the odd sprig here and there. The only type chemicals that gives one even a fighting chance are t hose such as gly that kill the roots so the roots die. Even that takes re peated patrolling for years afterward to catch new plants coming up from se ed, plants you didn't see etc. It also has the nice habit of being able to choke out any competition.

ay to do something.

Even for weeds that you can pull, you have to be an arrogant ass to accuse people of being fools because they don't want to go around pulling weeds on a 1/2 acre of turf. I can spot treat with a tank sprayer as needed with a herbicide in a small fraction of the time it takes to pull weeds. Just what I want to do, get down on my hands and needs, pulling weeds. Good grief.

Reply to
trader_4

KA Morning Glory. Pullign it does not work as the roots are mere threads, break one and a new plant comes up, seeds last in the soil for over 20 yea rs. I bought this place in 1976 and am still finding the odd sprig here an d there. The only type chemicals that gives one even a fighting chance are those such as gly that kill the roots so the roots die. Even that takes repeated patrolling for years afterward to catch new plants coming up from seed, plants you didn't see etc. It also has the nice habit of being able to choke out any competition.

way to do something.

Amen to that. My job #1 tomorrow is back pack sprayer to do the dandelions on my 2 acres (house lot and pasture). He is more than welcome to come ov er and demonstrate his prowess pulling all those nuisances.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

LOL Funny how these lots keep getting bigger and bigger. Before long all of you are going to have golf courses. You don't need Roundup, you need groundskeepers. "Why I've got 40 acres. let's see old gonjah keep that weed free from the mutant killer child eating weeds without agent orange." This is starting to sound a lot like fish stories to me.

Reply to
gonjah

I've got to be very careful when buying weed killer. A lot of shelf space down at the ranch supply is devoted to stuff that kills anything that grows so reading the fine print is important.

Reply to
rbowman