Using Havahart traps to relocate animals

Page 2 of 3
Red Green wrote:

Not my philosophy but I always found this amusing...
"If you love something, let it go; if it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Most admirable tolerance.
Joe

Okay. Though I would think a squirrel would be big enough to trip this trap.

NYC will issue no permits to kill nuisance animals. They have stated it is okay to relocate raccoons. Last Summer some neighbors paid a lot of money to a professional trapper to relocate a couple raccoons a couple hundred miles to Lake George (or so the trapper claims). The city did tell me that it would be okay if we relocated raccoons to Cunningham Park, but the neighbors weren't interested.
I am now trying to relocate a squirrel that has mastered getting into my squirrel-proof bird feeder. It took years before one figured it out. I have so far relocated one or two (the first time I picked a park only a mile away), but not the fat one I want to get. My 50 year old Havahart squirrel size trap does not have spring loaded doors. Something is springing the trap and not getting caught.
As we had raccoons last summer it is possible for them to reappear. So I figure why not get this size and use for both squirrels and raccoons.

Sounds like you need The Yankee Flipper!
http://www.yankeeflipper.com
On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 00:44:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Looks neat. However it doesn't have enough feeding ports to put out the over 1 1/2 pounds of hulled sunflowers seeds that I can do do with Duncraft's Squirrel Proof II feeder. And if it did I'd have to fill it almost daily instead of every six days.
Doug Miller wrote:

I've had one of those for about 8 years and it certainly does the job. But the squirrels learn fast and about the only time we get to enjoy seeing a squirrel flipped is in the spring when the next generation of them goes through their learning process.
I mounted the solar panel from a photoelectric powered battery charger on top of mine to keep the NiCads topped off, because it was a PIA to have to go out and plug the factory supplied wall wart charger into it every week or so. The "green" solar power works just fine.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Don Wiss wrote:

Note, in New York:
Gray and fox squirrels are protected game species, with set seasons (the "black" squirrel is actually a gray squirrel that's just darker). Red and both flying squirrels are unprotected. From ECL 11-0523:
"7. Whenever black, grey and fox squirrels, opossums or weasels are injuring property on occupied farms or lands or dwellings, they may be taken [killed] at any time in any manner, by the owners or occupants thereof or by a person authorized in writing by such owner or occupant."
I presume you're aware that the folks in Lake George have a racoon problem. They have been relocating to your town.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

They wouldn't do that. It is illegal. They just shoot the possibly rabid raccoon and the guy who brung it.
Jim [honestly- any 'animal control officer' who relocates a raccoon from NYC or its environs *ought* to be shot. http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/cd/cdrab-borough.shtml ]

I like the page. I wonder why the animal care people told us we were on our own for trapping and relocating the raccoons, and that we couldn't kill it. Anyway it is nice to see that no squirrels have been found rabid and my borough only had a bat.
I was reading the Amazon.com reviews for the six raccoon size Havahart traps. Seems all of them get plenty of negative reviews for various reasons. I see no point in it being collapsible, and some have had the raccoon bend it an escape. Then the easy set and easy release mechanism can break.
A friend argues that it needs peanut butter spread on the pan, instead of seeds. A review also pointed out that this reduces the eating the bait without setting the trap. My problem is the opposite. The trap is sprung with no squirrel inside. As for mice and chipmunks squeezing through the holes I have never seen them around here. One thing the new traps have, which my 50 year old one doesn't, is spring loaded doors. I'm thinking the fat squirrel's tail is keeping a door open so it can get out.
Don Wiss wrote:

Harbor Freight has these traps - much cheaper than the high-priced-spread.
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=trap&Submit=Go
i have the havaheart racoon size trap ,it works on suirrells too, i guess when you get down to rat size they may be able to sueeze out..
trapping a animal in the winter and reloating is likely a cruel death sentence.
away from its den and food sources.
I dont nunderstand why bird lovers hate squirells so much. they are just another of gods creatures.......
just buy a new squirrel proof feeder ad leave the squirrel alone

Yea squirrels can be destructive critters and they can be really cool as well. Just animals doing whatever it takes to survive.
I had one that would run down the driveway when it saw my car approaching. The fact that I had it addicted to chocolate chip cookies had nothing to do with it.
Now when it saw the chipmunk sitting on my knee eating sunflower seeds it must have figured I was Father Food Shelf and decides it's OK to take the Chips Ahoy's out of my hand.
So here I am on the deck with a couple of wild rodents playing nice-nice and two feet away on the other side of the window glass are the two cats going Alien balistic with that hunting chatter they do with their mouth. I don't think it was the cooking that they were interested in.
Red Green wrote:

Why do you like to torture cats? :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

God provided us with cats and Aggies so we could have something safe to torment.

Oh hell. They've brought home their share of carcas remnants.

It takes less water to drown them in the smaller traps.
Don Wiss wrote:

Be careful about size and time. We left a decent size trap out at night trying to catch a squirrel and got a skunk. It did not seem to mind - no spraying - and animal control came and let it loose.
Don Wiss wrote:

I've got one of the older traps with 2 doors specified for ground hogs. Have caught numerous squirrels, groundhogs, possums, raccoons and one skunk in it. Wish I had a slightly larger one as one annoying raccoon was too big for it.
As others point out, laws on trapping, relocating and killing the animals vary and may vary between game and non-game animals.
I heard trap and release was illegal in my county but once released a squirrel in the presence of a county cop and he said nothing about it. Apparently it is OK here to trap and kill and I have a neighbor that drowns ground hogs caught in his Havahart. Figure that out.