Using Havahart traps to relocate animals

All the traps specify which animals they catch. One Amazon.com page* shows three different sizes to cover all animals being sold as a package. But why can't larger traps also be used for smaller animals?

    Wouldn't this one trap catch all size animals that are too big to get through the mesh?

Don (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Yes, if they are also heavy enough to trip the trigger. The way they are set up, the weight of the door holds the trigger in place- the bigger the trap, the heavier the door.

Also note that relocating wildlife is illegal in most places. [and beside the legality- why just drop your problems on someone else's property?] You can probably get a permit to kill nuisance animals- or let an animal control officer take of them.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Okay. Though I would think a squirrel would be big enough to trip this trap.

NYC will issue no permits to kill nuisance animals. They have stated it is okay to relocate raccoons. Last Summer some neighbors paid a lot of money to a professional trapper to relocate a couple raccoons a couple hundred miles to Lake George (or so the trapper claims). The city did tell me that it would be okay if we relocated raccoons to Cunningham Park, but the neighbors weren't interested.

I am now trying to relocate a squirrel that has mastered getting into my squirrel-proof bird feeder. It took years before one figured it out. I have so far relocated one or two (the first time I picked a park only a mile away), but not the fat one I want to get. My 50 year old Havahart squirrel size trap does not have spring loaded doors. Something is springing the trap and not getting caught.

As we had raccoons last summer it is possible for them to reappear. So I figure why not get this size and use for both squirrels and raccoons.

Don (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Jim Elbrecht wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's why my hubby and I would take them away during the evening. We have a huge wooded (forest like) park nearby. Most of it people aren't be able to get thru. There are trails in several places. Many ponds and very hilly terrain.

We wait for no people to be around us. If somebody comes along we pretend to be "lovers" and they're none the wiser.

Reply to
Marina

Jim Elbrecht wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I don't like it or I don't understand it or it bothers me or it's in my way or I'm scared of it, etc.; therefore, kill it.

Well, I guess it could be worse...I could think like that.

Reply to
Red Green

If you only take a raccoon a few miles away he will be back in a day or two.

Reply to
gfretwell

Sounds like you need The Yankee Flipper!

Doug Miller

i have the havaheart racoon size trap ,it works on suirrells too, i guess when you get down to rat size they may be able to sueeze out..

ds549

trapping a animal in the winter and reloating is likely a cruel death sentence.

away from its den and food sources.

I dont nunderstand why bird lovers hate squirells so much. they are just another of gods creatures.......

just buy a new squirrel proof feeder ad leave the squirrel alone

Reply to
hallerb

Looks neat. However it doesn't have enough feeding ports to put out the over 1 1/2 pounds of hulled sunflowers seeds that I can do do with Duncraft's Squirrel Proof II feeder. And if it did I'd have to fill it almost daily instead of every six days.

Don (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

The person you are replying to did not state what type of animal they are relocating. In my case Cunningham Park, where I would take a raccoon, is 13 miles away with solid city in between.

Don (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

To sneak the animal into someone's neighborhood?

Don't do it in a park in my neighborhood (says EVERYONE).

Reply to
Bert Byfield

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news:5ef1698e-f0cf-4075- snipped-for-privacy@d36g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Yea squirrels can be destructive critters and they can be really cool as well. Just animals doing whatever it takes to survive.

I had one that would run down the driveway when it saw my car approaching. The fact that I had it addicted to chocolate chip cookies had nothing to do with it.

Now when it saw the chipmunk sitting on my knee eating sunflower seeds it must have figured I was Father Food Shelf and decides it's OK to take the Chips Ahoy's out of my hand.

So here I am on the deck with a couple of wild rodents playing nice-nice and two feet away on the other side of the window glass are the two cats going Alien balistic with that hunting chatter they do with their mouth. I don't think it was the cooking that they were interested in.

Reply to
Red Green

With squirrels, you really want them several miles away and across a body of moving water too wide to jump or they'll be right back.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"J. Clarke" wrote

With squirrels, I just kill them. Otherwise, they come back, or just make more squirrels.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Note, in New York:

Gray and fox squirrels are protected game species, with set seasons (the "black" squirrel is actually a gray squirrel that's just darker). Red and both flying squirrels are unprotected. From ECL 11-0523:

"7. Whenever black, grey and fox squirrels, opossums or weasels are injuring property on occupied farms or lands or dwellings, they may be taken [killed] at any time in any manner, by the owners or occupants thereof or by a person authorized in writing by such owner or occupant."

Reply to
HeyBub

It takes less water to drown them in the smaller traps.

George

Seems silly to buy haveahart traps and then kill them.

Reply to
mm

It makes this a more selective process. You get to choose which animals you want to kill and which you don't. In my case, I kill the rats, turn the squirrels loose.

Reply to
gfretwell

Not my philosophy but I always found this amusing...

"If you love something, let it go; if it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Reply to
dadiOH