Using Havahart traps to relocate animals

Page 1 of 3
All the traps specify which animals they catch. One Amazon.com page* shows three different sizes to cover all animals being sold as a package. But why can't larger traps also be used for smaller animals?
* (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Wouldn't this one trap catch all size animals that are too big to get through the mesh?

Yes, if they are also heavy enough to trip the trigger. The way they are set up, the weight of the door holds the trigger in place- the bigger the trap, the heavier the door.
Also note that relocating wildlife is illegal in most places. [and beside the legality- why just drop your problems on someone else's property?] You can probably get a permit to kill nuisance animals- or let an animal control officer take of them.
Jim

That's why my hubby and I would take them away during the evening. We have a huge wooded (forest like) park nearby. Most of it people aren't be able to get thru. There are trails in several places. Many ponds and very hilly terrain.
We wait for no people to be around us. If somebody comes along we pretend to be "lovers" and they're none the wiser.

If you only take a raccoon a few miles away he will be back in a day or two.
On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 19:37:41 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The person you are replying to did not state what type of animal they are relocating. In my case Cunningham Park, where I would take a raccoon, is 13 miles away with solid city in between.
Or some other racoon. It's like trying to make a hole in the lake by taking buckets of water from one side of the boat, and pour out the other side of the boat.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

To sneak the animal into someone's neighborhood?

Don't do it in a park in my neighborhood (says EVERYONE).
Bert Byfield wrote:

With squirrels, you really want them several miles away and across a body of moving water too wide to jump or they'll be right back.
--John

With squirrels, I just kill them. Otherwise, they come back, or just make more squirrels.
Steve
You should stop on a bridge, and drop the animal into the center of the flowing water.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Even more entertaining is hold the animal in your arms. Tie a cinder block to yourself and toss it in the center of the flowing water. Animal goes to shore. You go to Hell. Not THAT'S entertainment!

I don't like it or I don't understand it or it bothers me or it's in my way or I'm scared of it, etc.; therefore, kill it.
Well, I guess it could be worse...I could think like that.

Seems silly to buy haveahart traps and then kill them.

It makes this a more selective process. You get to choose which animals you want to kill and which you don't. In my case, I kill the rats, turn the squirrels loose.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Many folks consider squirrels to be furry tailed rats.

I agree squirrels are just rats with a publicist (a roof rat is just a "palmetto squirrel" around here) but the squirrels haven't come into my house. One running around the bedroom and my wife said they all have to die. I rolled that particular one with birdshot out of my .22 colt revolver. Hit him running.

My mother had that view, and I wish i had thought of a reply before she died.
I think the difference between a rat and a squirrel is much like the difference between an ugly girl and a pretty girl. And that's a big difference.

no matter what you do more weill move into your now vacant area......
better to feed wildlife or at best ignore them
but do keep them out of your home, where they can do damage
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 12:25:16 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Squirrels or pretty girls?
Or both?

The live trap can be 'on duty' 24 hours a day. It beats a snap trap as it guarantees you don't kill your pet weasel or whatever.
That said- this is my squirrel medicine- http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews114230.html .17 cal single shot, break barrel pellet gun. Always a head shot at 50ft- I'm about 50% at 100 yds but the gun is more accurate than I am.
Jim