Unexpected opening in my radon remediation system

Hi,

My radon remediation systm, which features a 3" PVC pipe, had Y coupling on it and open of the Y's "ears" is open with no pipe connected to it and no cap. What's the point of that?

So I took a chance and capped it and my radon levels went from 2.8 to

1.8. Did the radon people just screw up or what? Does this mean I can get a smaller fan now?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

I have no answer, but out of curiosity, did the open leg of the "Y" point up or down. I don't think a smaller fan would change anything for the better, as it is lowering your readings now.

Reply to
EXT

Maybe they were allowing for a possible 2nd penetration, but didn't need it. And then forgot to close the port.

When I did ours, I spent a lot of time investigating the fan size, and ended up just guessing at it. One article I read (can't find the URL) said that a lot of professionally-installed fans are oversized - just put something in, and if it works, we're outta here.

Out of curiosity, what level did you have before the system was installed? I'm surprised you were getting any useful suction with the pipe open. Is it possible it wasn't fully open, like maybe they'd stuck a rag in there?

George

With the system off, it's 6-7. with the system on Y open it's 3. and now that I capped it, it's 2.

Reply to
Aaron Fude

With the Y open, it might have been sucking enough (radon-contaminated) air out of the basement to 'work'. Do you have a vacuum gauge on the line? I'd try popping the Y on mine, but my manometer has a water bubble that I can't get rid of.

George