Uneven gap on countertops - re using granite

Re Countertops: My wall has pulled out unevenly from two 7' long counter tops. IOW, there is a gap starting at one end about 1/16 of an inch and ends at 1/4 inch at the other end.
I would assume that the only way to cover this gap and make an even countertop would be to use a back splash. As I now have tiles installed on the walls and don't want to tear them out, is there any alternative to using a back splash for granite.
Thanks.

Quarterround or caulking over a backer come to mind. Granite backsplashes have the same issue.
Dee Dee wrote:

Before you go trying to cover it up, do you know what caused the uneven separation like that? Make sure that there's nothing still moving before you go putting a bandaid on it.

I agree. I'd put 100% of my time and effort into finding the cause of that movement. Fine cracks are one thing but a quarter inch gap is a very different matter.

Right. Seems too coincidental that last November-December, we had grading done sloping the ground away from the house, and drain tiles put in. During the previous spring-summer months we had heat pumps put in for each floor (along with propane backup), so the house has become drier than it ever has been (built abt.1975).
There has been movement before in the same place, but now there seems to be more, so that I can "see" the gap from the counter to the drywall. Thanks.
Dee Dee wrote:

You need to have someone check that whole area for settlement and foundation cracks. Walls don't pull away from countertops, or anything else for that matter, unless something is seriously wrong. It's possible that the countertop is pulling away from the wall, and that's another matter, probably less serious, but not necessarily so. Get some knowledgeable eyeballs on the situation asap.
| Dee Dee wrote: | > | > Right. Seems too coincidental that last November-December, we had | > grading done sloping the ground away from the house, and drain tiles | > put in. During the previous spring-summer months we had heat pumps | > put in for each floor (along with propane backup), so the house has | > become drier than it ever has been (built abt.1975). | > | > There has been movement before in the same place, but now there seems | > to be more, so that I can "see" the gap from the counter to the | > drywall. | | You need to have someone check that whole area for settlement and | foundation cracks. Walls don't pull away from countertops, or | anything else for that matter, unless something is seriously wrong. | It's possible that the countertop is pulling away from the wall, and | that's another matter, probably less serious, but not necessarily so.
| Get some knowledgeable eyeballs on the situation asap.
thanks for the intro R
it could be as simple as a shim under the cabinets has compressed from the weight of the granite.That is why you should always scribe the side panels instead of shimming.
to the OP was the tile BS put on after the granite or before? should have been after.
| R |
|I remember reading some time ago about that very problem. If you are in an | area that has winter, sometimes the studs on the inside edge become so dry | while on the outside edge has more moisture plus cold causing them to bow | towards the outside, opening up gaps. In the summer when the humidity is | higher inside the house they usually straighten out. I had this problem but | not as bad as you. It is the same problem that sometimes occurs with roof | trusses. | | Most likely it will fix itself in the summer. Do not fill the gap as that | will prevent it from closing up and may cause it to open even more next | winter, you need something that can cover the gap and slide over the granite | as the studs move. |
grout with silicone to match granite color or tile grout color will remain flexible.|
| Dee Dee wrote: | > Re Countertops: My wall has pulled out unevenly from two 7' long | > counter tops. IOW, there is a gap starting at one end about 1/16 of | > an inch and ends at 1/4 inch at the other end. | > | > I would assume that the only way to cover this gap and make an even | > countertop would be to use a back splash. As I now have tiles | > installed on the walls and don't want to tear them out, is there any | > alternative to using a back splash for granite. | | Before you go trying to cover it up, do you know what caused the | uneven separation like that? Make sure that there's nothing still | moving before you go putting a bandaid on it. |
there you go again assuming the worst............again not everything that goes wrong is a "worse case scenario" and thats "adhesive bandage" to you. | R |