Uneven Battery Performance

2 AA brand-name alkaline batteries will power my toothbrush 2 minutes a day X 30 days= 60 minutes, tops. Actually, I see a power loss after about 15 days (30 minutes total).
2 of the same type of batteries in a home exercise ski-machine to power a monitor that shows time elapsed, calories, distance, and miles per hour for 180 minutes a week are still in use after three months!! 2,800 minutes?!!?
Yet in a home-exercise air glider machine with a simpler monitor that shows elapsed time and no. of steps, the readout starts to fade after 150 minutes.
Go figure, eh.
| 2 of the same type of batteries in a home exercise ski-machine to | power a monitor that shows time elapsed, calories, distance, and miles | per hour for 180 minutes a week are still in use after three months!! | 2,800 minutes?!!?
The batteries are most likely not used to power the screen once you get going. They're just there to provide micropower when the machine isn't in use.
Windswept@home (Jack's Wife, Murriel) wrote in 60.giganews.com:

Here you are running a electric motor,drawing lots of current,converting electrical energy into mechanical energy.

the current draw for the electronics in that machine is very low. Probably CMOS logic.Maybe a LCD display?

LED displays draw more power than an LCD display.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Apr 4, 8:51 am, Windswept@home (Jack's Wife, Murriel) wrote:

Well, not knowing what the power draw is, can't do anything but speculate. And comment that to use disposable batteries to power a toothbrush shows the power of marketing over sense.
HTH, J
On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 12:51:33 GMT, Windswept@home (Jack's Wife, Murriel) wrote:

Motion like this takes more than just moving electrons around, I think. Apparently even LCDs only use a tiny bit to arrange the crystals, and once they are in place will stay that way with no or almost no current.

I have an AMFM Clock radio from 1972 that uses two 9 volt alkaline-if-I-have-them batteries for back up if there is an AC power failure, and they last less than a day.
OTOH, the tiny little battery in a watch will last 5 years.
I don't think the clock radio displays anything at all when it is in backup mod.

Battery capacity is measured in ampere-hours (Ah). So, if a device requires 1 ampere and the battery is rated at 1 Ah, you'll get an hour of use (1 x 1 = 1). If another device requires only 0.1 amperes, you'll get 10 hours of use (0.1 x 10 = 1). That's a basic explanation, there are many other factors.