underlayment

Page 2 of 2

The previous installation worked just fine except for the particle board that got wet (so this one will be better). It isnt a simple step to put down 2 layers instead of one but if it will make you happy i will put some 1 1/4 ring shank nails in the field as well as nailing it firmly to the joists. I have no problem with that. Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean by omitting a simple step.

That is the simple step. You want the two layers to act as one - monolithically. If you don't physically attach the two layers together with glue/screws/nails the end result will not be nearly as strong and stiff.

I think you're screwed. Neihter McFeelys nor McMaster have them so they will be about impossible to find. I'd buy or rent a stapler. Or go with screws.
http://www.halexcorp.com/halex_underlayment_3.shtml
Fasten the plywood underlayment panels securely to a structurally sound, smooth, clean and dry subfloor using;
a.. Staples: galvanized or polymer coated 18 gauge chisel point staples with minimum 1/4" crown or,
b.. Galvanized ring shank flooring nails: 12 gauge, minimum 3/16" diameter head or,
c.. Galvanized flat head wood screws. Fasteners should be long enough to penetrate through the plywood underlayment and atleast 80-95% of the subfloor, but not protrude through the bottom. Fasten one plywood underlayment panel at a time, starting from one side and working to the other. Do not lack the corners first. If using staples or nails, fasten on every fastener mark (4" on center in the field and 2" on center along all edges. Fasten edges 3/8" - 1/2" from the edge. Fasteners should be set flush so they do not protrude above the plywood underlayment.