Uncuttable phone wires?

Page 2 of 3

I understand that...
On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 12:46:57 -0700, against all advice, something
say:

At first blush, this looks like a good idea. But, upon further reflection one wonders what would happen if The Other Guy suddenly lost his phone conversation.
Would he immediately start concentrating on his driving? Or would he rather take his mind completely off of managing his vehicle to stare stupidly at his suddenly non-functioning phone, completely distracted from the more important job at hand?
I'm thinkin' the latter.
--

Don\'t worry about people stealing an idea. If it\'s original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.
Larry Caldwell wrote:

You do know actively jamming cell phones is illegal, right? And could subject you to Large Fines if the FCC tracks you down?
In this country, only people that can jam sort-of-legally are law enforcement. Places that block cell phones do it with PASSIVE jamming- essentially turning their buildings into giant Faraday cages using metal mesh on the walls, under the wallpaper or whatever.
-- aem sends...
says...

You can buy cell phone jammers on the internet for under $100.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

An new construction site burned to the ground a couple of years ago. People were in the middle of closing on their new condo (Phase 1). Fire trucks every where.
It looked like fraud at first, but was determined to be arson. A wireless unit captured the video. It was on a server somewhere before you could shake a stick. *
* Construction Site Security System and Monitoring System
http://www.skywaysecurity.com/mobile/images/trailer.jpg

It was the correct answer wether or not you like it.
I suggest you fuck off if you can't accept alternatives.

When I built our AZ house, I wanted the same setup. The phone wires were in a trench as they approached the house. When it got next to the foundation, I ran the cable into a black 1" dia. gas pipe" about 2 1/2 ft below grade. From there, the pipe came to the surface, went up about 2 ft, then an elbow put it thru the garage wall. I installed the phone "interface" inside the garage (facing "inside"). That was Ok'd by the local Qwest phone installer. Afterward, I put a 3" slab down against the outer wall (and around the "gas pipe")and that became the resting place for one of my Carrier A/C units.
The end result was there was no sign of any phone line/connection outside the house anywhere.
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 08:02:33 -0700 (PDT), "Bill J."

You could get a lockable exterior cabinet and run the phone drop in conduit.
Bill J. wrote:

A decoy phone box.
TDD
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:27:16 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Use a cellular data card in a router with a UPS.
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:27:16 -0500, The Daring Dufas

When some cars still had exterior hood releases, I installed an under the hood handle that looked like it opened the hood but really just tripped the car alarm. It looked great. I once found the alarm runnng, and I think someone fell for it and tripped my device. Nothing else was open or damaged and if a car had bumped me accidentally, I don't think the mercury switches would have tripped.
The hood wasn't opened but then again, this wasn't even connected to the hood.

mm wrote:

I had a customer, an old Black man who was loosing batteries from under the hood of his old land yacht. The burglars were taking the batteries while he slept. I installed a pin switch under the hood and a key switch between a pair of headlights on one side of the grill. The switch simply powered the car horns whenever the hood was lifted. The old fellow was awakened one night by the car horns, crash of the hood and a loud scream. He never lost another battery.
TDD
Doug Miller wrote:

Because it just does in many places. If it didn't matter, the government wouldn't keep statistics on crime by skin color.

Nothing. But not recognizing that others may NOT see things the way they ought to be is often suicidal. Don't believe me? Walk through Watts or South Chicago after dark.
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:27:16 -0500, The Daring Dufas

And an alarm that sounds when the decoy box is opened.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Or when the wires are cut. I'm quite fond of Edwards fire horns for causing miscreants to suffer from brown shorts.
TDD

My father in law came by an old siren, the kind use by volunteer fire departments to call people in. He wired this into his workshop alarm system after getting broken into and none of the neighbors paid attention to the alarm. He also wired saws, most of his power tools to come on. I dont know of anyone trying to break in after taht but he showed it to me by setting the thing off while I was in the shop. Imagine lights going out, siren, in the shop, coming on and saw, planers and shapers all around you starting up. No guards on anything. I would have been laughing my ass off if it had happened to someone else except I realized how close I came to sticking my hand in a radial arm saw after he turned the lights on.
Jimmie
Jimmie

I would install it as high as possible. Make it be out of reach. Run the wiring inside as high as possible.

I did just that had the NID moved to 15 feet off ground, burglars were breaking in after cutting phone wires. Ran my entry cable inside the wall from high up too.
My elderly grandma ....... I was afraid someone woulds break in and her die of fright
Bill J. wrote:

Overhead service or underground?
If underground, the following is easier:
Use a 6-conductor cable. Splice the 4 telephone wires to 4 of the conductors in this new cable.
Connect the remaining pair to a fault alarm such that when they are cut, all hell breaks loose: sirens go off, dog kennels open, giant floodlights shine, moaning, etc.

I had a friend that did pretty much that. He was in the vending machine business and often had large sums of cash at his business over the weekend. A pair on the phone lines was wired into the alarm system. This scared off would be burglars a couple of times. There was no real worries about them getting any money as it was all in a big walkin safe but in the past they did a lot of damage breaking in the place.
Jimmie