Uncuttable phone wires?

Thank You. I was not thinking about the need to protect an alarm system, but I know there is NO way to cut the "wires" from a cell phone.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

I have a dummy box with wires going to it down low but the wires come inside up high with box inside. Actualy I just kept the low box and had the wires tapped and run inside. If you are expecting something then there are cell systems which are best, but last time I looked years ago they were very expensive.

Reply to
ransley

It was the correct answer wether or not you like it.

I suggest you f*ck off if you can't accept alternatives.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

An new construction site burned to the ground a couple of years ago. People were in the middle of closing on their new condo (Phase 1). Fire trucks every where.

It looked like fraud at first, but was determined to be arson. A wireless unit captured the video. It was on a server somewhere before you could shake a stick. *

  • Construction Site Security System and Monitoring System

Oren

Someone must have cut mine. I only have a 1/4 inch diameter stub sticking out.

Reply to
mm

When some cars still had exterior hood releases, I installed an under the hood handle that looked like it opened the hood but really just tripped the car alarm. It looked great. I once found the alarm runnng, and I think someone fell for it and tripped my device. Nothing else was open or damaged and if a car had bumped me accidentally, I don't think the mercury switches would have tripped.

The hood wasn't opened but then again, this wasn't even connected to the hood.

Reply to
mm

My alarm guy friend installs quite a few burglar alarms that use cell phones. There is a problem for him, but I forget what it is. It may be that with real phones he can call up the customers burglar alarm from his own office and disable zones and set all the settings but it might be harder or impossible with cell-phone-simulator (I don't think it looks like the thing you carry in your pocket).

Prices are going down on this sort of thing all the time, call and see.

Or use some sort of decoy, especially one that when cut, sets off the burglar alarm.

I ddon't remember if I did this, because I live in a medium priced house in an all residential n'hood and my siren is two stories high but I sort of got caught up in the whole thing and did more than I need. Burglars also cut the wire to sirens, so I have an outdoor siren with four wires in the sheath, two for the siren and two that make a loop that when cut sets off the alarm. Then there is an indoor siren in the attic that still runs and the noise goes out the soffit vents etc.

Reply to
mm

When I worked in a supermarket years ago, we were instructed to open all of the register cash drawers at the end of the day -- they were empty (the tills with cash were locked in the safe), but another store in the chain had a breakin with thousands of dollars of damage to the registers before the would-be theives found out they were empty.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

re: "opened all of the register cash drawers at the end of the day"

We did the same thing, for the same reason, in a small corner pharmacy when I was a teenager.

It may have saved the cash register, but it didn't help the owner. Sometime after I left to join the service, my mom sent me an article about how they found the owner face down on the floor, his hands tied behind his back, a single bullet hole in the back of his head.

I wonder if it had anything to do with the small brown bags of cash (which I wasn't supposed to know was cash) that I occasionally delivered to cigar smoking guys in the car wash across the street.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My dad ran a bar for 44 years, he always left the cash register open and a $20 in it. Hoping that if they did break in they would just take the money and leave without breaking anything. Sure enough one night two guys broke in took the twenty but instead of leaving they decided to have a party in the bar. The next morning he found them passed out on the pool table. They were still asleep when the police woke them up.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE
[snip]

Hope the burglars forget the portable Faraday Cage...

Reply to
Gary H

And an alarm that sounds when the decoy box is opened.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 18:49:07 -0700 (PDT), against all advice, something compelled JIMMIE , to say:

Oh, please. How do two guys get that wasted with only twenty bucks?

Reply to
Steve Daniels

Not quite Darwin candidates, but close.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They didn't leave a tip?

Reply to
Plague Boy

You're joking, right? They broke into a bar, remember? They don't lock up the bottles when they leave.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

When I built our AZ house, I wanted the same setup. The phone wires were in a trench as they approached the house. When it got next to the foundation, I ran the cable into a black 1" dia. gas pipe" about 2 1/2 ft below grade. From there, the pipe came to the surface, went up about 2 ft, then an elbow put it thru the garage wall. I installed the phone "interface" inside the garage (facing "inside"). That was Ok'd by the local Qwest phone installer. Afterward, I put a 3" slab down against the outer wall (and around the "gas pipe")and that became the resting place for one of my Carrier A/C units.

The end result was there was no sign of any phone line/connection outside the house anywhere.

Reply to
Rudy

I had a customer, an old Black man who was loosing batteries from under the hood of his old land yacht. The burglars were taking the batteries while he slept. I installed a pin switch under the hood and a key switch between a pair of headlights on one side of the grill. The switch simply powered the car horns whenever the hood was lifted. The old fellow was awakened one night by the car horns, crash of the hood and a loud scream. He never lost another battery.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Or when the wires are cut. I'm quite fond of Edwards fire horns for causing miscreants to suffer from brown shorts.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Bottom Shelf Vodka