Uncuttable phone wires?

Is there an acceptable (legally and to the phone company) way to install phone wires and exterior service box such that one's phone service cannot be easily disconnected by burglars, etc. without(at a minimum) noisy methods and tools?

Reply to
Bill J.

The device you need is called a Cell Phone:-))

Lou

Reply to
LouB

If you're going to make up a different question to the one I asked and answer the made-up question instead of mine, then why bother posting in this thread at all? Also, your answer was not helpful in any way, I am still looking for an answer which is.

Reply to
Bill J.

You could get a lockable exterior cabinet and run the phone drop in conduit.

Reply to
gfretwell

A decoy phone box.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Lighten up.

The forum is all about offering alternatives that the OP may not have thought of. If a poster asks about a way to carry 4 x 8 sheet goods home when all he owns is a VW, it perfectly acceptable to suggest that he cut them down to smaller sizes in the parking lot. It didn't really answer the question asked, but it may just solve the OP problem.

First off, if you are strictly talking about voice services in a residentail setting, then a cell phone could certainly be a viable option. If not, then the solution won't work for you, but there is no need to slam the person who suggested it.

Second, why don't you call the phone company in question and ask them? What the phone company in New Zealand allows might not be "accetpable" in Rhode Island. Any answers you get in this forum will need to be verified with your local TelCo anyway.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Use a cellular data card in a router with a UPS.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I also find it rather tedious when asking a specific question to get a "funny\\cridical" answer rather than a genuine reply to my issue. But many in usenet seem to have little self control over the manner in which they resond and I don't expect anything to change soon.

Reply to
gilb

You are right. Maybe they did not grow up or have some anger issues.

I usually don't respond to those posts.

Take care, Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea77581

I would install it as high as possible. Make it be out of reach. Run the wiring inside as high as possible.

Reply to
Thomas

While I agree with this statement, I don't see where that was the case here. The OP asked how to protect the phone lines. There's most likely nothing he can do that the phone company will accept that can't be disabled in 2 seconds with an ax or maybe a sledge hammer. If he has a cell phone, a burglar would have to take out one or more well hidden cell towers in the neighborhood to cut him off.

To continue the theme of uncolicited advice...

Bill, if being able to call out is part of your concern and not just your alarm system (I think the big companies have a cell modem backup option these days) the answer of course is to do both, use a locking box and conduit as someone else suggested AND a cell phone. Also, make sure you have at least one phone on your land line that will operate without wall current. You might have to order a magazine subscription to get one anymore... :)

Reply to
Larry The Snake Guy

.

me too,

btw, I think the OP needs to stop being paranoid.

Reply to
Zephyr

re: btw, I think the OP needs to stop being paranoid

Now I get to defend the OP.

How do you know that these phone lines aren't for the alarm system at a business or storage facility in a neighborhood where the crime rate is higher than one would like?

There could very well be a valid reason why a more robust infrastructure is required, but where enough noise would raise suspicions and therefore investigation.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Overhead service or underground?

If underground, the following is easier:

Use a 6-conductor cable. Splice the 4 telephone wires to 4 of the conductors in this new cable.

Connect the remaining pair to a fault alarm such that when they are cut, all hell breaks loose: sirens go off, dog kennels open, giant floodlights shine, moaning, etc.

Reply to
HeyBub

Wouldn't that be a little heavy for the portion of the phone line running from the pole to the building?

Might need a some steel cable as a support.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

:

om...

You're right, there could be good reasons why. I was just being an ass.

Reply to
Zephyr

te:

.com...

Me too! ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I had a friend that did pretty much that. He was in the vending machine business and often had large sums of cash at his business over the weekend. A pair on the phone lines was wired into the alarm system. This scared off would be burglars a couple of times. There was no real worries about them getting any money as it was all in a big walkin safe but in the past they did a lot of damage breaking in the place.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Actually the answer was quite helpful. Cell alarm connections are quite common for locations where someone is concerned about a cable cut.

Reply to
George

I did just that had the NID moved to 15 feet off ground, burglars were breaking in after cutting phone wires. Ran my entry cable inside the wall from high up too.

My elderly grandma ....... I was afraid someone woulds break in and her die of fright

Reply to
bob haller