Uncuttable phone wires?

No; but apparently there are devices that can 'jam' cell phone signals! Not sure how they work but apparently they have been used in certain secure buildings, to prevent cheating in areas where examinations are taking place, to avoid interruptions during publicly broadcast meetings etc. Maybe even in places of worship to prevent cell phones from ringing during services.

One of the 'best' scams of a wired alarm system was when some thieves introduced a stray cat into a warehouse that had had an alarm system installed or upgraded. The cat set off motion detectors. Several time during a long weekend. After the several false-alarms, the whole alarm system was turned off; to be 'repaired' the following week. Whereupon the thieves who had left a trailer backed up against an outside wall broke through and stole goods from the warehouse!

So while digressing from the OPs question there is in my opinion no way totally that an alarm sytem could be protected or by-passed. Even if encased in three feet of reinforced concrete!

And what is meant by 'legally'????

Also and finally to the OP, lighten up! Some of the humour (on this freely available and no charge for advice forum) may be juvenile; but does one want to cut off all debate/suggestions.

Have fun with it; many a good suggestion has come from a light hearted suggestion or remark.

Reply to
stan

My father in law came by an old siren, the kind use by volunteer fire departments to call people in. He wired this into his workshop alarm system after getting broken into and none of the neighbors paid attention to the alarm. He also wired saws, most of his power tools to come on. I dont know of anyone trying to break in after taht but he showed it to me by setting the thing off while I was in the shop. Imagine lights going out, siren, in the shop, coming on and saw, planers and shapers all around you starting up. No guards on anything. I would have been laughing my ass off if it had happened to someone else except I realized how close I came to sticking my hand in a radial arm saw after he turned the lights on.

Jimmie

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

There is no law that says the service box has to be exterior. Just move it inside the house. Most commercial buildings have a telephone entrance in a service closet, you can do the same. Of course, you will have to be home for any service calls, to allow them access. Then, as long as all your lines are buried, the phone will be pretty impervious.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

You can buy cell phone jammers on the internet for under $100.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

You can get 12 volt versions that will keep other motorists off their cell phones within 100-150 feet of your vehicle, too. Drive now, talk later.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

Got a link?

Reply to
Doug Miller

The phone company I've dealt with, AT&T formerly BellSouth will not install an interior network interface at a residence. It's a company policy that probably has to do with access. A business will almost always be open during business hours and the telephone tech can get to the RJ21X. A homeowner may not always be home to let a tech in.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Don't bother. Even if they are available, they are highly illegal.

Our state prison system tried to install such devices and the feds had a hemorrhage.

Reply to
HeyBub

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 12:46:57 -0700, against all advice, something compelled Larry Caldwell , to say:

At first blush, this looks like a good idea. But, upon further reflection one wonders what would happen if The Other Guy suddenly lost his phone conversation.

Would he immediately start concentrating on his driving? Or would he rather take his mind completely off of managing his vehicle to stare stupidly at his suddenly non-functioning phone, completely distracted from the more important job at hand?

I'm thinkin' the latter.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

Same with Verizon. The demarc point on a new residential install is always outside.

Reply to
George

if its a overhead drop a polwe tree trimmer can take it out in under a minute.

just harden as best you can and put up a dummy security camera with warning signs.

you dont need to make it impossible to disrupt phone, just more trouble than its worth

Reply to
bob haller

Because it just does in many places. If it didn't matter, the government wouldn't keep statistics on crime by skin color.

Nothing. But not recognizing that others may NOT see things the way they ought to be is often suicidal. Don't believe me? Walk through Watts or South Chicago after dark.

Reply to
HeyBub

You do know actively jamming cell phones is illegal, right? And could subject you to Large Fines if the FCC tracks you down?

In this country, only people that can jam sort-of-legally are law enforcement. Places that block cell phones do it with PASSIVE jamming- essentially turning their buildings into giant Faraday cages using metal mesh on the walls, under the wallpaper or whatever.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Lately, I've been thinking that a phone is more trouble than it's worth!

Reply to
Oren

I understand that...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Me too! ;-)

Well you know what they say..... There's a little asshole in all of us! ;-)

Reply to
Mark