Unable to remove Moen faucet cap

I'm trying to change a cartridge in a Moen bathroom faucet (2 handled chate au style, see picture below). the problem is that I cannot even remove the top cap to remove the handle. they say use a screwdriver or sharp instrum ent. It doesn't work. I keep scratching the cap. And suggestions?
https://www.amazon.com/Moen-4920-Chateau-Two-Handle-Bathroom/dp/B000TFD6C0
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Straight pin or a needle to get it open far enough to insert a putty knife of other thin blade . Be SURE you're at the line where the cap meets the handle ...
--
Snag

On 6/21/2016 5:13 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

That or a knife blade is what I'd do. If you break it Moen may most likely have a replacement to sell you although may not be cheap.
On 6/21/16 8:02 PM, Frank wrote:

De-grunge the joint with a stiff bristle brush. Maybe let a little penetrating oil sit around it overnight?
--
With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

Try here:
http://www.moen.com/customer-support/installation-help/tutorial?id=moen0132
Looks to me like the cap should pry off.
--
Dan Espen

It does say a flat-headed screwdriver. That's ridiculous. Even the smallest are thicker than a knife edge.
And the drawings in 4a and 5a don't match the words.

Why would you pry with a knife? Seems like a good way to ruin a knife. They claim a screwdriver would work so they must think there is enough there that a screw driver would get purchase. Using something thinner is probably okay.
Mainly what the page shows is that the way in is through that cap and the cap is not screwed in, it just pops out. I'm well aware that it's not always that easy.

I don't see the problem, but who cares.
--
Dan Espen

I have a knife that I use as a tool, and for just this sort of thing. I've never ruined it. Knives have a sharpened edge.

Someone who pays more attention to the picture than the words and soneone who doens't speak English.