U brackets, nailing

I have some U-shaped brackets that I'm nailing into a 4x4 post. The brackets will hold a 2x4 stringer. The nailing hole in the bracket is in the base of the "U", and it's hard to nail the nail without damaging the surrounding legs of the bracket. I've been using a nailset. Is there any technique to make this easier or any piece of equipment that will help? I'm wondering if a framing nailer could drive a nail right through the metal into the wood.
Any thoughts appreciated.

A framing nailer will *possibly* drive a nail through the metal. Most likely, the nail will curl up into a coil, then bounce back and put out your eye. (Your mom did warn you that you could put out an eye, didn't she? :-) )
Get yourself a palm nailer. You'll wonder how you ever lived without it.
I've seen ads for bracket nailers that let you put the nail accurately through the holes, but I've never used one.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

YES!!! That's exactly what I need. I will order one today.
Thank you!!!
On Fri, 29 May 2009 02:07:34 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"

AKA "positive placement". Down here where they order Simpson clips by the pallet they are very common. You can convert Hatachis (and I assume other framers) with a kit. They don't "bump nail", there is a point that you put in the hole to align then one shot per trigger pull.
My NV83 (without the kit) will shoot through a clip if you miss the hole but it isn't pretty. That was shooting 2.5" nails into 4x12 PT (SYP).
she? :-) )

Absolutely the best way to go. Just finished putting up a dozen joist hangers with my palm nailer and it's like "Braaaappp!!" and they're done. Get the Senco palm nailer if you can find one. It's a sweetheart of a tool. You'll use it more than you think because it is more controllable than swinging a framing hammer. Installing solid bridging between joists is one good example where the hammer in a 14" space seems to take forever and framing nailers can be too clumsy in confined situations.
Joe

If you angle the nail you should be able to hand drive the joist hanger nails....use a milled face hammer
Steve's suggestion of a Palm nailer is a good one but hand nailing is doable.
cheers Bob

What about using a drift or something wider than a nail set. I have a rod from junior high school. My project was to use a lathe to make a nail set, but the 12 weeks ended before I finished. So it is knurled, but other than that, unchanged.