Two devices, only a single electrical box

Howdy!
In our bedroom, the light switch is in a single gang electrical box. This switch seperately controls the ceiling fixture and ceiling fan.
I want to replace this switch with a ZWave dimmer, but I don't have anywhere to install a fan control. The electrical box is mounted in a position where I can't fit a double gang box. I can't find any ZWave controller that will allow ZWave to dim the lights, and manually control a fan.
Anyone have any ideas on how I can deal with this?
Thanks!

It may be possible to cut in a second box above the existing one. Run a two wire cable between the boxes and you can control both separately

add a second box in the attic if you wish to hold it. http://store.homeseer.com/store/Fixture-Modules-C107.aspx
and a zwave switch in the existing box to control the light.
Of course you wont get a wall mounted switch to control the fan. You'll only be able to control it via zwave.
-dickm

I had a similar problem. In my case I wanted to replace a simple switch with a dimmer. The switch box was also a junction box (had 4 #12 cables coming into it) and there wasn't room for the dimmer. This was on a narrow section of wall without enough room for a 2-gang box. I installed another 1-gang box below the original one (below, because the existing wiring would get in the way above), This new box has plenty of room for the dimmer (it has no wires in it except for the ones going to the dimmer). The original box is now just a junction box, and has a blank cover plate.
BTW, I also took the opportunity to reroute one of the previous owner's add-ons (putting Romex under cable clamps in the metal box).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

You might consider one of those overpriced extender boxes from Wiremold, made to connect to surface conduit. You can get a two-gang box which will mount over the existing single-gang switch box. Install the dimmer over the original swith box, and install a switch in the other half of the Wiremold box. The dimmer installation might require some custom cutting of the plastic box's back mounting plate. Be careful not to weaken it an any important places.
If it were my project, I would install an aftermarket remote control module in the fan, or just replace the fan with one that comes with a remote control. In the switch box, just wire the fan directly to power, leaving the rest of the room in the box for the dimmer.