Two devices wired into a single BS1363 plug?

A multi-occupier building has, in a communal service cupboard, a single standard 13A surface-mounted switched socket into which is plugged a normal-looking plug.

Entering that plug are two different leads connected to two different items of low-power fixed communal equipment (it is not easy to see what each of those actually does - or did.

How should that setup be described, on a scale running from entirely satisfactory to absolutely illegal?

Reply to
Dr S Lartius

Not quite what you are asking, but you can get (or used to be able to get) a 'multiplug' - the normal three brass pins but with a larger plastic housing. Inside the housing the pins came out to brass 'bus bars'. You could fit up to four cables in one of these, each individually screwed down and with individual cord grips.

I have a feeling these are no longer on sale, but they were useful items.

Reply to
jkn

Well what fuse is fitted in the plug. I guarantee that if you look in most human fitted plugs you will see its got a 13 amp fuse.

In my view that is hardy safe.

To be a hand wired plug, then its either a very old installation, or somebody cut the plugs off. Seems a little silly as a two socket extension lead is cheap as chips and much less ambiguous. Its one of those things we have all done. Idea I have a couple of socket bars wired together using the connections in one to hold the cable to the other, but I've been very careful with fuses and all of that. I cannot see to do it now, but I've come across random coloured three core thin wire never intended for mans used to wire up 8 watt lights in a greenhouse, and that lasted over 20 years with no adverse effects. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

There was also a natty plug with tine three pin sockets in a well on one end and four little plugs to fit them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

It's likely the wiring in the plug is untidy. I suggest two plugs and an adaptor. Fit 2A fuses in the plugs. Check that the cables don't pull at the adaptor unduely. Check that the equipment has adequate ventilation. Consider a smoke alarm in the service cupboard, near a ventilation grille (of a type that won't close) in the door.

What you describe is commonly done by cowboy CCTV and TV system persons.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I expect the person who did it didn't have an extra plug and two way adapter, or the ability to get them.

Reply to
Max Demian

I'm sure I've got some 'Siamese' cables where you have one cord that splits into two IEC sockets? Not quite the same situation but it suggests things like that are done (by design)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Typical cowboy would resent the expenditure of a 31p plug and a 50p adaptor.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

It is easy to argue that the end result of adding a 2 way adaptor is not as neat as this solution

though anybody doing this properly would take out the single socket and replace it with a dual

Reply to
tim...

I would say entirely unsatisfactory.

The correct method would be two seperate 13a plugs and a double socket outlet. As a temporary measure a 2 way adaptor in to the single socket would not be 'illegal'.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

A multiple socket replacing a single socket is no doubt the best, but it is a *lot* of DIY work to install - chasing out plaster, putting in a larger backing box, undoing the two thick wires to each terminal and connecting them to the new multi-socket. I'd say that a multi-way socket bar on a short trailing lead is the best *pragmatic* solution. I prefer those over the multi-way cube adaptors because there's less chance of the weight of the various leads pulling the pins of the adaptor out of the wall. With any adaptor (cube or socket bar) you need to apply a bit of common sense: a

3-bar electric fire on each of the four sockets in a bar is *not* a good idea and hopefully the 13A fuse in the bar will blow PDQ.

Most of the time, multiple sockets are needed for lots of low-power wall-wart adaptors rather than heavy power consumers, so the total current in the cable and the single plug will be well below the 13A limit.

Reply to
NY

The OP is faced with "a 13A *surface-mounted* switched socket" [emphasis added] so not such a big job.

If it were a socket in a back box then a converter socket* avoids the need for a new back box; and in a cupboard is unlikely to be aesthetically unacceptable. But naturally only to be undertaken by someone competent and authorised by the building's owner/manager.

*eg
Robin

CONGRATULATIONS! you are the first person, and the only one so far, to have actually answered the question!!

Your first sentence - Yes - the architect ... fitters should done that. Your second sentence - Agreed though in practice the adapter would either be permanent or stolen.

The setup is undoubtedly about 40 years old.

The proper course of action seems to be to identify the functions of the two devices on the two leads - not easy. One of them has probably been operating, since Feb 2014, to no useful effect. If so, then its lead can be removed from the plug, saving a few pence per year per resident.

Thanks,

Reply to
Dr S Lartius

2 way adapters (those block things) are the spawn of the devil regardless of legality. They wobble and are more of a risk than a solution. The only one I have is to give me two 2 pin outlets for shaving etc.
Reply to
AnthonyL

Not convinced a two way adaptor is as safe - especially for something that is normally left plugged in.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yup - something sticking out of the wall that far is prone to damage - especially in a cupboard, where things are likely stored.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

yep, we probbaly have around 100 of these.

or rather I call them Y IEC cables. Used to connect a scope and a PSU , or soldering iron and a helpings hand PSU (for the LED light) be difficult to have everything powered without them.

Reply to
whisky-dave

A short two-way trailing lead socket better

Andy Burns

There was this

(For Brian's benefit.  A 13 amp plug with four cable entry points)

Now illegal and withdrawn, because you can't share a single fuse on multiple flexes, though surely the same would apply to multiple IEC dist strips ?

Reply to
Mark Carver