Two devices wired into a single BS1363 plug?

That's always amused me, given the one thing it normally won't plug into.

Reply to
John Rumm

Why not? Surely the worst that can happen is that two appliances are de-powered rather than one.

I have a dresser unit with two lights, each with its own flex. I wired both flexes into one plug (with a 3 amp fuse). I cannot think of any reason why this should be unsafe. The manufacturer could perfectly legitimately have wired both lamps in the same circuit.

Reply to
Scott

It's a cupboard, so likely used for storing stuff.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

True - it's what they were called in TV. Usually by cameramen. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

It will if it has the cut out.

Reply to
charles

There are about 50 years' worth of light bulb boxes thrown in my service cupboard thanks to 50 years' worth of council electricians changing the stair light bulbs.

Can't expect them to walk 20 paces to the wheeliebin can I.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I wonder who of us here hasn't then? Ex BT / Datacomms installation / service tech here ...

I'm sure there are loads of other non-relevant things folk haven't seen inside. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I've seen lots of areas of my own insides.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

My take is it is safe with one proviso, that the cable clamp operates appropriately on both cables.

Not an ideal setup and should be frowned upon. I have seen worse.

Reply to
Fredxx

Noooo :-)

If the user sets things up in such a way the least of anyone's worries is going to be 2 cables to a plug . . .

Reply to
RJH

Well, I wasn't agreeing with the banning of that plug, just saying it was. Someone from the IEE overthinking perhaps ?!

I must confess I've doubled up 13A plugs with things like Christmas Lights, and other low current/thin flex items. Woo !

Reply to
Mark Carver

And doing so with several sets of the old class 0 christmas lights would at least give the cord grip some 'meat' to bite onto ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I remember when plugs cost money but used matchsticks and foil from ciggy packets were free and shuttered sockets hadn't been invented :)

Reply to
Robin

I spent the first 6 weeks of my life in an incubator, that was powered by its supply flex being stuffed into a mains socket using matches.

Reply to
Mark Carver

A cutdown piece of potentiometer spindle was also a good fit. Standard fitting in 'fused' dis-boards to avoid having fuses at both ends of the cable.

Reply to
charles

what we used to call "Bryant & May Connectors". Sounded much more professional.

Reply to
charles

Knowing my luck I'll probably spend the final 6 weeks of my life attached to a similarly installed machine !

Reply to
Mark Carver

You live in an ideal bubble, Bill. ;-) But is it a riser cupboard?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Not so. Roughly, the bottom third is fairly full of wiring, much of it thin, and there is no shelf anywhere. Also, though the cupboards are all high enough to stand in, they are only about 22cm deep. Granted, a similar but less fully used cupboard at one time contained several footballs.

Reply to
Dr S Lartius

In article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Scott snipped-for-privacy@gefion.myzen.co.uk> writes

You had the good sense to fit the fuse which applied to the weakest individual cable. (plus your cables were of identical capacity) Now supposing one of the cables supplied a 2kw kettle.

Reply to
bert