dryer plug to two 120VAC 30A ?

I have a 4 "prong" dryer plug in my basement. Is there a converter that will plug into it and let me plug in one or two 120VAC 30A plugs? If there isn't such a converter, how hard would it be to make one up? Thanks.

Reply to
Reid Fleming

as far as i know ther are no 120 volt 30 amp receptables.

what are you planning on plugging in?

Reply to
hallerb

as far as i know ther are no 120 volt 30 amp receptables.

what are you planning on plugging in?

Reply to
hallerb

as far as i know ther are no 120 volt 30 amp receptables.

what are you planning on plugging in?

Reply to
hallerb

Get a four wire dryer cord set and the 30 amp 120 volt 3 wire cord body that you require and connect just one hot, the neutral, and the ground, leaving the fourth wire insulated

Reply to
RBM

No such animal exists. If you need a 120V outlet, jury-rigging one from a

240V plug is not the right way to do it. Why not replace the breaker and and plug thereby converting the line to 120V?

You could also just add new 120V line(s). You mentioned that this is located in a basement. Don't know your specific situation, but it should not be too tough to add a new line and outlet in a basement.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Most certainly is, L5-30's. Data centers use them and the majority of RV's use them as well. I have one on the outside wall of my garage for my camper. Option 5, 4th outlet down at this link.

Brian V

Then I guess you're unfamiliar with the NEMA 5-30 .

FWIW, there's also a 120V 50A configuration, designated the 5-50.

Reply to
Doug Miller

There's even a 120V 30A straight-blade configuration.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Hmmm, If it is on 120V, it'll be ~60A!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

just what would any homeowner use 120 volts 30 or 60 amps for?

Reply to
hallerb

No it won't.

Reply to
Doug Miller

An RV as mentioned before.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Richard J Kinch

You could make an extended quad-receptacle box. 2 circuits at

120volts, each hot as feed and split neutral and ground to each. It should be changed at the breaker...but would work. Jury rigged, cobbled...Smoky Stovert style.
Reply to
pheeh.zero

I took 240 from an old electric stove outlet and made two 120 strips for my workbench. That was 15 years ago.

Reply to
Meat Plow

He's asking for 30 amp. you're not going to fit quad 30 amp anything in any standard box

Reply to
RBM

If he has 220/30 he ends-up with 2 at 110/15. Bite the bullet.

Reply to
pheeh.zero