Tub install

My tub opening is 58 inches wide so I can't fit a standard 60 inch tub. Can tubs be cut to take an inch off from either side? Or better yet, is it common practice? I saw a 52 inch wide tub but that seemed too small. Are there any other options short of a room addition?

Thanks

Reply to
dodgerfanami

Some mobile homes have 54" tubs. Still small but not unusable. (Check a mobile home supply place). There are also 'corner' tubs at Lowe's/Home Depot that are much shorter than 60" but are as wide as they are long.

Some old cast-iron tubs are shorter than the standard. They'll be outrageously priced.

I don't know whether it's possible to take off an inch from each end but it seems doubtful. I think the tub would flex too much.

It's possible to cut a hole in one wall to make the tub fit. At least, that's what they appear to have done in our house (built in 70s) as the space is just over 58" wide. When we redid the bath, rather than attempting to replace the tub we refinished it using special tile paint. Two years later it still looks great.

Best -- Terry

Reply to
prfesser

Open up the wall at the head of the tub (away from the controls) nail in 2xXs flat in that wall, and pare down the existing studs to match with a big-ass chisel and mallet.

Reply to
Goedjn