Tree roots

Rotting would depend on a lot of things. If your in a arid area it might be closer to 10 or 20 years. I had to cut down a tree with a 36 inch trunk, it was dieing any way. The stump that was left was still really solid after 5 years. Closer to 7 years I could began breaking out the root pieces.

Trees usually get aggressive when they want water. Watering the tree might solve the problem.

Reply to
SQLit

nospambob

Hi:

I have a rather large tree in my yard. About 40-50 feet tall and around 15+ years old. Don't know what type, but it has been referred to as a scrap tree. Best thing about it is it provides shade over half the house.

The problem is each year the roots are more above the ground and they have growths sprouting from them. These get cut every time I cut the grass, but what is left is very painful to walk on. Like a clump of toothpicks.

If I had the tree removed what would happen to the roots spread out all over the yard? I imagine they'd eventually rot away, but would that take 1year, or are we talking five+ years. I can't afford to have the whole yard bulldozed & re-sodded...

~~Phil~~

Reply to
~~Phil~~

It would be a lot easier to answer your question if you could identify the tree. I am a farmer and I have never seen or heard of a tree with roots like you describe. I should note that many people have bad attitudes about specific tree species. This is usually due to the wood being poor or useless. However, for shade, and appearance, most any tree is useful. So, dont cut it down just because someone said its a scrap tree.

Most of the trees on my farm are "scrap trees". (Box Elders). Yet, they provide shade for myself and my animals. The only bad thing about the Box Elders is that they are weak and snap easily in storms. I removed a few of them near the house because of this. Trees falling on the house is not a good thing. It's bad enough they have fallen on my fences and bust them, but I still prefer having trees.

Go HERE to identify your tree.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff