Travertine Tiles in Shower Good idea?

Hi

My friend said I was crazy to think of travertine tiles in my shower as I am planning to have my bathroom remolded.

He said that it was easy to damage and difficult to maintain?

What are the pros and cons.

Reply to
Tube Audio

Porous and picks up stains.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

It's pretty.

It is said to be easy to damage and difficult to maintain.

It is also very commonly used in some places. Mexico for example. When living there, I had no problem not damaging it as I am generally barefoot and naked when showering. The maid cleaned it so I can't attest to the alleged difficulty of cleaning but I wouldn't think it would be all that bad since it is smooth (after filling) and shiny. Smooth shiny stuff is easy to clean. IME, YMMV.

Reply to
dadiOH

I think your friend is crazy. Did you ever notice how their eyes shift about? Something's seriously wrong there. ;)

If you're talking about Travertine with unfilled voids, you'd be nuts to use that in a shower. If you're talking about filled Travertine, then it's pretty much the same as any other marble. It's porous, not particularly strong, and can stain. So you need to have a bulletproof substrate, pay close attention to the details during installation, seal the tile before grouting, seal the tile and grout after grouting, periodically do a maintenance resealing and take care what cleaning products you use.

RicodJour