Sealing travertine tiles

I have a bathroom (not installed by me) which is lined with Travertine tiles. Due to some plumbing problems, I've had to break a few around the bath and they're now being replaced. Of course, this has uncovered other problems - my tiles have not been sealed, and apparently with porous rock this is a bad idea since it lets steam through to soften the tile adhesive.

There are also other opinions:

tiler said he would seal all the tiles for an extra =A350, which doesn't seem like very much but it's a lot when you're already laying out for everything else and it may not be necessary. Any thoughts?

Peter

Reply to
psaffrey

Yes it is a good idea to seal the travertine because it is otherwise difficult to impossible to remove marks and stains, splashes of products used in the bath etc.

The tiles should have been sealed after installation and before gouting and then again after grouting. If they weren't done before grouting, then at least you could do that now.

This is a very easy DIY job but certainly doesn't need to cost £50.

The best product to use for the purpose is Lithofin MN Stainstop.

You can obtain this from any good tile shop. It may seem expensive at around £30 a litre but unless you have a palace, 0.5 or 1.0 litres is probably enough for a bathroom.

It's important to follow the instructions and to use a suitable brush/roller that doesn't leave foam and then to wipe off excess after the suggested time, using more material if needed. The objective is not to leave any sign of the sealer after drying.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I know it might result in stains, but are there any other dangers? These tiles have been on the walls unsealed for a few years now (I didn't fit the original bathroom, I'm just picking up the pieces) and I'm tempted to leave them as they are. I can cope with the risk of stains, but I might be a bit more nervous if they're going to jump off the wall or anything.

Peter

Reply to
psaffrey

They won't jump off the wall. However, if there is any staining or splashing from cleaning products etc. you are basically screwed with unsealed travertine.

Reply to
Andy Hall