Trapping chipmunks

I've been trapping oput the chipmunks that have nesting next to the foundation to my house. My wife can't stand me killing them so I have a have-a-heart trap and release them in the woods after the catch. My neighbor said that the chipmunk has an uncanny sense about finding their way back to their original home. I don't know if I believe that but would like to know if there is a satisfactory distance to go out that would eliminate any possibility of them finding theie way back 'home'.

Everything I've seen says carry them at least 3 miles away and 5 is better.
KB

10 miles away or into the stewpot, either works.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Get 'em a singing contract and they'll never come home..
"ALLLLLLLVIN!!!!!!!!!"

You better be scared. Those chipmonks are gonna come back with their brothers and beat the living crap out of you. It will be so bad that Mr. Yankee Rebel won't be able to help you.
God save your soul.
Get a few hawks as pets!
JB wrote:

Experiment.
Spray paint your next batch of 3-mile chipmunks green.
If, thereafter, you see a green chipmunk (and haven't been drinking), go for red and four miles.
Me, I'd dangle 'em from Helium-filled balloons and let the next state worry about it. To avoid animal cruelty concerns, fit each 'munk with a teeny helmet.
You can also think "Cat."

I have not had luck with trapping them, although this might work for you. I probably would use rodent poison (without allowing the wife to notice) in addition to the trapping. Chipmunks can be very destructive. We have large black snakes that usually take care of the rodent issues, no poisons nor trapping needed. Maybe an outdoor cat will help.
JB wrote:

I always liked them around. They're also easy to tame, if you're willing to sit motionless for the longest time offering food, say peanut butter on a stick. You have to be motionless less and less time until it's nothing at all. This is when I was a kid, but they may have changed under the influence of TV or something, for all I know. Something must eat them where I live now because I don't see any.
I don't know that they find their way back at all. They just repopulate where there's favorable conditions, as long as there's a breeding population. They must have a litter every month. So they ``fill up'' the available slots pretty fast, and die out beyond that.
--
Ron Hardin
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com

Oh yeah. They're cute?
A mile away the developers were poisoning a large colony of Richardson's Ground Squirrels, that's the gopher's ID around here, and one of them must have panicked and made its home under my front concrete landing. I generally love all god's creatures so I left it alone and even fed it with nuts on occasion. Looks like it didn't like to live alone and disappeared over the winter.
Two years later I was on a 6 ft ladder to paint the window trim when one leg started to sink into the ground. I was only about 4 steps up so it shouldn't be difficult to jump off. But I didn't figure that the weight of the remaining foot on the step I used to jump off from would cause the ladder's single leg to break through the gopher tunnel roof. Yup, that was the problem. The gopher had tunnelled from the landing along the edge of the wall to a bush.
So my jump was totally screwed up and I tumbled causing my elbow to jab into my ribs. The pain was excruiating and affected the whole left side of everything. At that point I couldn't even identify the injury because it was so broad. X-rays, Dr. examinations, etc. Luckily nothing seemed broken but the pain only faded after a month.
I'll stick to feeding the birds.

Use this method and distance won't matter.
Trap using the have a heart trap transfer to cardboard box to release location put a couple of mothballs in the box for them to play with release wherever you'd like.
Worked for me.

How the hell did you get their little legs spread apart?