Tracing Burried Romex in Yard

Page 5 of 5
Locate the wire by clouds of steam and smoke coming from the ground, along the path of the wire?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

When I use my cordless drill to remove screws from boards laying on the ground it brings worms right out of the ground. They come out fast too. I have no idea why. Some sort of vibration thing I guess. Maybe look for a worm trail.:)
Way to go, Matt!

A $35 tool like the following will do the trick http://tinyurl.com/agr9z
Ray wrote:

I would seriously doubt that such tool would be any help in tracing (properly) *buried* wire as per the OP. Heck, these tools have enough trouble going through 3/4" of sheetrock.
I've had more success with mine. But as you note, the cable might be several feet down.
blueman wrote:

Bennett Price wrote:
A $35 tool like the following will do the trick http://tinyurl.com/agr9z
Bennett,
That works well if you can already see the wire, i.e. you can touch the wire with the device. It is great for picking a hot wire out of a bundle of dead ones. It won't work well for a wire buried 6 to 12 inches deep in dirt.
Matt, I have a tool that will sense a wire a couple of feet deep, but it cost about $220. Call an electrician. If you destroy the wire in the process of finding it, you aren't saving any money!
Stretch

cost
Stretch -
Does the expression "Well, Duh!" mean anything to you?
Matt
Matt, When I joined this group, I thought that you were being abused by some of the other members, they treated you so badly. It is obvious now that you deserve it. You are a spoiled brat, who just wants attention, and gets it by making trouble for other people. No, I will not lower myself to your level by cussing you out like some others, but it is apparent that you are no account. I don't have a kill file, and don't intend to get one, but you are still easy to ignore. The alt.hvac problem is not paul's debacle, it is yours. Anyone on any of these groups will know that in a few weeks or less. I'm surprised how long it took me to find out how big of a (fill in the blank)_________ you are. Everyone else knows also. No-one wants to joine a new group with you. Not even the other (Same Blank)_____________. As the travelocity gnome says "Ignoring you, ignoring you!".
Stretch

Some of the "buzzer" suggestions _might_ work, but don't count on it.
[In case it isn't obvious, futzing with the main like that other stupid suggestion can kill you.]
Call your local power company. If that line is delivering power to something, they can probably detect it with their equipment. Despite it not being their main feed, they _may_ be willing to search for it. Especially if you need them to find your main feed anyway.
[Recently, I did just that. I needed the mains found before some garden work, and when the guy was onsite, I asked him if he'd take a quick scan for the buried feeder to the garage which was only a few feet away and I needed to avoid it too. He spent a few seconds searching for part of it, found it, I thanked him, and that was that.]
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Ray posted for all of us...

Use your areas "one call" system.
--

Tekkie

Useless advice.
Locating services that mark local utilities are responsible only to the metering device. You can beg and plead and might get an individual locator to spot the lines for you, but his corporate response is supposed to be "no way" and I absolutely will not give a depth indication.

DanG posted for all of us...

Hey top posting Danny Boy what magical advice did you come up with other than slam me?
Did you read some of the other responses; didn't think so.
So take your useless top posting; usless post and be gone... --
Tekkie

Take two pieces of straight baling wire about 16" each. Bend a 90 about four inches from the end.
Put these down in two Tabasco bottles so they can freely spin. Tilt slightly forward so they point in front of you. When you walk over the line, they will both swing towards the center. Beware, though. They will also pick up sprinkler lines, sewer lines, water lines, etc.
If you have a light touch, make a round fist, just touching your first finger to the tip of your thumb. Your hand would look just like were holding an invisible broom handle. Do the same thing with the wires.
It works. Used it countless times to locate lines.
Steve
Thanks to all the serious posters to my original question !! I will try a few of the suggestions making sure not to kill myself when I touch the wires to the lugs in the breaker panel :):):)
Ray

metal
There are some small devices sold that generate a radio signal, and they come with a receiver that is made to be held near walls and breaker boxes. I only saw one in use once, so I can not recall how the signal was noticed, but it seems to me a LED lights up and a buzzer sounds. I dont know if that would work underground or not. You could probably even disconnect the wire from the breaker and take a walkie talkie or portable CB radio to the cable, then use a receiver that has a signal strength meter on it, and watch the meter. But, once again, I dont know how effective it would be with an underground cable. However, if you got something like that laying around, give it a try, and let us all know if it works.
Mark
------

You left out some things, do you want to keep the power and just trying to be safe while 'trenching'? Do you think your 'trenching' is deep enough to catch any burred wires?
Have you found the ends of their burried cable?
tom
They have devices to do what you are asking. They are expensive and your electric company may have them. If you are not willing to pay to find them then you will have to dig it up (no real short cuts).