Tracing Burried Romex in Yard

Page 1 of 5
The previous owner of my home burried some Romex to power up a pool pump and he ran a branch to a receptacle for a non existent sheded off this to provide a receptacle to a non existent shed.
I like to do some trenching in my yard to run conduit to a workshop that I built but want to avoid the existing romex.
Is there a way/device to help me find the burried romex. I tried a metal detector and after adjusting the sensitivity it still picks up a lot of stray stuff in my yard and does not give me a clear picture of the location of the romex.
Thanks,
Shouldnt use romex in the first place, remove it by finding where it comes out and start pulling it up. Easy to find them
If it's hot maybe one of those wire-finding things could locate it. But that is a dumb way to run power, it's sposed to be in a PVC pipe I think. I would not only rip it out but also check the previous owner's other wiring "handiwork".
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

One would assume the wire buried was UF type, before advising to rip it out you might suggest that the original poster used the wrong name and he should check to see if it really is interior Romex. Dave
On 4 May 2005 07:34:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Romex is a brand name, they do make UF cable also, so maybe he's reading off the box.
tom
Ray wrote:

Andy writes:
I haven't tried this, but I've heard of others who tried it....
Into the receptacle, plug a hair dryer or electric drill and have your wife or somebody run it..... this puts a LOT of static on the power line.
Use a little transistor radio to probe around in the vicinity of where you think the underground feeded might be..... The feeder will be radiating a lot of interference, and you might be able to track it this way......
If you have success, please let us know about it on this group. Thanks.
Andy
A similar method that has been used is to turn off power to the circuit, strip the wires on the load end, and twist them tightly together, attach a wire nut, and then wrap the wire nut with electrical tape.
In the circuit panel, take the wires feeding the circuit and remove them from the circuit breaker and reattach directly to the incoming mains power.

Is this how you suffered your obvious brain damage?
I never said I used it, you big silly. I simply said it _had_ been used.
Pay more attention.

What a brilliant idea -- NOT.
You have no business offering electrical advice to anyone.
Thanks Doug.
Cause, I mean, I was serious and everything, and I really expected someone to actually believe it.
Thanks for being the usenet safety marshall today, you are doing your job well.
Put a capital G on that geek, will ya?
Putz.

So you said something stupid, got called out, and now you're pretending it was a joke all along - which makes you look even sillier than you already did.
On the off chance that this really *was* a joke -- that's even more stupid. Many people who post here know even less about electrical safety than you do, and do *not* have the technical competence to distinguish between good advice, dangerously stupid advice, and dumb jokes.

To some, yes. Others, who appear to have no clue (perhaps you'll recognize yourself here), I advise to hire a pro.

I have no sympathy for those idiots who, lacking any understanding of electrical safety, offer useless or dangerous advice to those who are in no position to tell it apart from good advice. Perhaps you'll recognize yourself again, as either the former or the latter, probably both.
Those who give safe and correct advice never receive a reproof from me.
Your confusion is understandable, though, being as you are yourself unable to tell the difference between good and bad advice.

Whether it was serious or not isn't really the point - electricity is not a joking matter. What you proposed could be FATAL to someone who thought that was actual serious advice.
I don't really believe you were joking, anyway. I think you haven't a clue, you posted something stupid, and now that you've been called out on it, you're trying to pretend it was all a joke. And if you *were* joking... that's REALLY stupid.

Yeah.... sure.
Get over yourself Doug.
You really aren't that important.

I forgot to ask - where did you get that device that lets you accurately judge the capability of the person asking the question, or the actuality of the situation they are attempting to descibe? Is this some sort of new internet device?
Is it possible that the advice you give could be passed from a friend to a friend via telephone to one who say, couldn't ask the question themselves as they have no computer?
How do you judge their ability?
Oh, what about the people who are just reading the thread, have no ability to perform electrical work, but inspired by you - decide they can handle it?
Face it Doug. Giving advice here - posting ANYTHING here, accurate or not, can lead to the death or injury of others. There is NO WAY to know how the information you provide will be used, or whose hands it will wind u pin.
If you are really concerned about the safety of others, then you will either ALWAYS tell people to use a pro - OR - post nothing at all, therefore causing the person to call a professional.
There is no difference between good, bad or joking advice here.
It's all just information to be used or ignored by those who seek it, whether they are qualified or not to actually use it.

To some extent, it can be inferred from the questions the poster asks. For example, from your questions, I'm able to infer that you're an argumentative horse's ass.

That's exactly the point I've been trying to pound into your skull, Matt. I'm glad it finally got through to you.

Just proves what I said before - you can't tell the difference.

Obviously, you do.

it in the first place, because there is always the possibility that someone out there is stupid enough to try it.
Bob
Doug Miller wrote:

Doug I'm sorry but I am one of the most reactive safety guys around and I knew it was a JOKE. -- Tom
"A similar method" ... to what?