Toro 22" Walk-Behind Lawnmower: Bolt Size & Type Question For Blade

Hi,
Surprisingly, the Manual or Parts List doesn't specify.
Anyone happen to know the type and size of the bolt that holds the blade on for a Toro 22" Recyler Model of walk behind mower ?
Thanks, Bob

why not sharpen the old one and use the old bolt
Hi,
Hard for me to really re-sharpen, and then re-balance, it myself, at my age.
The re-sharpening costs for someplace to do it are not all that different than a new blade from Lowe's, somewhat surprisingly.
Guess we really do live in a throw away society.
Want to get a dedicated socket wrench for the bolt removal, hence my trying to find the bolt size.
Regards, Bob ----------------------
wrote:

why not sharpen the old one and use the old bolt

Reuse the old bolt, I take off and reuse mine every year, they are a locking type and wont come off anyway running since rotation of motor is reversed. I have 2 blades one I sharpen when I have time, its not hard to do or to balance it. I just use a coarse wide file.
It's very easy to re-sharpen the Toro blade if you have the proper tools: grinder, a blade balance cone, a light touch, and a cheap torque wrench. It takes about 5 minutes, maybe 10 minutes the first time. A sharp mower blade will help prevent disease and moisture loss to your lawn. I usually sharpen mine twice a year.

I wonder how many blades you could buy if you didn't already own a grinder, a blade balance cone, a light touch, and a cheap torque wrench.
BTW, is it OK if I use my fairly-reasonably-priced torque wrench? I don't have a cheap one.
<g>

re: Surprisingly, the Manual or Parts List doesn't specify
I'm not surprised at all. If they list the size, users would go to Lowes and buy 'em from them. By not listing it by anything other than a Toro part number, they'll get many more people buying it from them. Sure, they won't get *everyone* buying it from them, but since it cost them exactly nothing to *not* tell you what size it is, any direct sales they get is at maximum profit.
If you're looking to match the head size for a socket, take the current one off with an adjustable wrench and take it with you when you to buy your new blade.

a 9/16 inch wrench. The bolt head is likely to be worn and rusted, in which case a 6 point socket wrench works better. It can take a lot of force to loosen so you might need a long handle and a good way to keep the blade from turning. They make a little clamp which connects to the edge of the deck to hold the blade.
Take the plug wire off and be careful. Get some help if it doesn't want to come loose.
Don Young

Using a C-clamp on the deck of the mower to prevent the blade from turning works for me. Most bolts are 9/16 head and 3/8X28 thread(?)
replying to Don Young, khamba99 wrote:

That was 8 years ago, I hope he has it fixed before now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On 6/22/2016 10:29 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

He bought an adjustable but then found it was metric so he went back for a metric adjustable.