tool to toilet water inlet pipe nipple

Hi All,
I am calling that round compression ring thing that goes over your toilet's inlet water pipe (1/2" copper?) a nipple. If I am wrong, please correct me.
Question, how do I get the nipple off when I go to change the water valve? The old nut is all stripped out and drips and can't be tightened any more without ripping something.
There is tool for everything, there must be a tool for this? Or, should I breakdown and just call a plumber?
Many thanks, -T
On 12/6/2010 8:16 PM Todd spake thus:

I'm a little unclear here. You have a copper pipe between the shutoff valve and toilet? Another question: are you in the U.S.?
I'd say the best solution would be to discard the metal pipe and get an ordinary flex connector between valve and toilet. Much less likely to leak in the future. It should screw onto both valve and inlet to the toilet's flush valve.
Unless I'm missing something here ...
--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:
On 12/06/2010 09:46 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

No, between the water supply and the cutoff valve.

yes
Wrong side of the valve. Sorry for not being more clear.

Todd-
" cutoff valve. " >>>>>> often referred to as an "angle stop" or shutoff valve
getting the vocabulary right is half the battle.
cheers Bob

It's called a ferrule and you need a ferrule puller.
Or very gently squeeze it with long nose pliers to make round again & slide it off.
Or very, very carefully cut it with a hacksaw (or a Dremel) at a 45 deg angle (don't score the tube) and break it off.
When you install the new valve (use a 1/4 turn valve) use some pipe dope (I know, they;re supposed to me metal on metal but teflon paste helps) Don't over tighten.
cheers Bob
On 12/06/2010 11:04 PM, DD_BobK wrote:

Thank you!