how to screw in short pipe nipple

I need to attach a 2.5 inch straight pipe nipple for a showerhead mount instead of the gooseneck type and wonder what tools are used for that as there is no bare pipe left to grab with a pipe wrench and I do not want to use it on the outside threaded part. I know there are nipple extractors that grab the inside of the pipe. Are there reverse application tools?

Thanks.

Reply to
Dmitri

depending on the situation I have used the follwing tools succesfully (no leaks, no visible damage)

  1. channel lock stylepliers
2.. vise grips
  1. regular pipe wrench
  2. internal pipe wrench

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bob K 207

"Dmitri" wrote

The best nipple extractor is lowering the room thermostat....

;-]

Reply to
Red Neckerson

On 1/8/2005 12:37 AM US(ET), Dmitri took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I am not a plumber, so I don't know if such a tool exists. My only suggestion would be to wrap a piece of rubber around the threads (like a piece of inner tube) and use the pipe wrench (carefully) on the threads.

Reply to
willshak

Rubber would probably puncture, but leather has been used that way. Internal pipe wrench is a better idea.

Never tell your wife you got a nipple extractor, unless you want a divorce. :)

Reply to
somedude

I know there is a tool ( forgot the name) that is used specifically to remove and install chrome shower goosenecks. It is similiar to an oil filter wrench only it has cloth to grasp around the pipe so it does not scratch. You could probably use it in your application so as to not damage the threads.

Reply to
Mikepier

Internal pipe wrench seems like a good idea, also for future use as an extractor.

Thanks.

Dmitri

Internal nipple wrenches work for both extracting and tightening short pipes.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I have a cam type internal whatchamacallit that works in either direction. For a one time project, though, you could use a couple of conduit nuts (the jam nut priciple) with appropriate wremches. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I went ahead and bought one of those cam type internal pipe wrenches as I might do other similar projects. Works great.

Dmitri

Reply to
Dmitri

At a moment like this, I'd suggest to screw the nipple into the shower head. Teflon tape it. And teflon tape the other end. Use the showerhead to hold the nipple, crank the showerhead. Say a prayer, and hope for the best.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

yep - an electrical locknut & a galv coupling locked on makes a pretty good close nipple installer when u don't want to bugger the threads

Reply to
bumtracks

Red Neckerson posted for all of us....

Well, going into AC is one method but my favorite is when they look at at me and it happens...

Reply to
Tekkie