Tool Purchase Ethics?

Page 3 of 3

As a retailer who sold a whole bunch of costumes during Halloween, I can tell you that folks like you wreck the system for others. Typically, after Halloween, folks come in to return used costumes. They use all kinds of excuses including wrecking them so they can claim they were "never good". We have a store policy that does not allow any returns on costumes due to this problem and suggest that they try them on before their purchase. This year we had 7 people claim they purchased the costumes for people that passed away among other excuses. Now, what kind of a position does that put a retailer in? You are stuck with sticking to a "tough policy". So when the system gets abused, retailers respond and all of us pay the price....me included....Ross P.S. Oh well, retirements over and loving it!
In my state, a retailer who doesn't give cash refunds must post a sign clearly stating their policy.

We
this

"In my state, a retailer who doesn't give cash refunds must post a sign" Yes, Bob....if you would believe it...there is a sign behind the register, on the counter and on the reciept... You think I am following the law?....I would say that the customers are the ones in question....Ross

We have a local junkyard with that policy posted: a large sign behind the counter stating "NFCR".
--
Regards,
On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:48:42 -0500, "Ross Mac"

Please include a sanitation policy.
Oren

If you noticed, Circuit City (and Best Buy) had the same problem:
Around Superbowl time, everyone was "buying" big screen TVs and then returning them after the Superbowl. Hey! It was like renting a big screen for FREE for all your friends to come over and watch the game. Take it back and get your money back. Well, they got wise and started charging a "restocking fee". Not too many people did it any more....

I guess I should say..."You Got The Picture Hardcrab" ....Ross

I bouhgt a video camera once that fell into the same catagory. Someone had bought it to take on a cruise and then brought it back. Free rent? I don't know. I think if i paid good money for a camera, used it, and then wasn't happy with it, I'd bring it back too. Matbe so on a big screen TV too. But I would bring it back and get a different model or somthing.
Funny thing was: Circuit City used to have free in home deliver and set up.
"Hey honey. Since the guys are coming over for the Superbowl, I'm gonna get a big screen TV from Circuit City. Don't WORRY! It don't cost nuttin'!!!"
(Not sure if they had free pick up for returns)
The original poster must have be the guy I saw at Home Depot on Monday Dec 26th. He was returning a Christmas Tree.

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:48:42 -0500, "Ross Mac"

You do know that Halloween is the biggest cause of death among liars, right?

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:48:42 -0500, "Ross Mac"

====You do know that Halloween is the biggest cause of death among liars, right?==== Wait a second. Do you mean that 7 people said they had passed away, and more people gave other excuses?
Or only that 7 people tried to return costumes and some of the 7 sadi that the person had passed away?

One by one they came in with their excuses that they thought the return policy should become void.....Like I said...7 folks claimed that the folks that were going to wear the costumes had passed.......Now, what would you do?...Maybe one of them were honest but a policy is a policy....Like I tell them...It's on the wall, it's on the counter, it's on the receipt and we warn you during the transaction.....What else can you do as a retailer?....Abuse costs retailers a considerable amount of cash...It has to come from somewhere....that would be us....Ross
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:58:08 -0500, "Ross Mac"

That's what I thought you said. Then I thought, Nah, must have been 7 total including other excuses. I was right the first time.

Of course they are lying. I'm not in business and I wouldn't be good at it.
I guess I would tell them that ( if he wore it before he died, he's used it, and so he can't return it, and ) if he hadn't used it yet, there's no reason they can't give it to someone else next year.
That assumes that he's telling the truth, but he still can't return it.
I guess for business and personal reasons, it's best not to call them a liar.

You should just TRY to explain store policy to the public.....Gave it up since all they will do is argue and claim they know better.....take care, Ross