tool chest

Help me decide. The bottom section needs to fit under my work bench and slide out so it can't be any higher than 36". The top section will go on my work bench. I assume these units all separate easily.

Which one is the better choice?

badgolferman

I think I'd first do whatever possible to avoid using valuable bench top real estate for any manner of storage. I realize you may not have a choice...

Most tool boxes (that I'm familiar with) the upper unit just sits on the lower. Have never looked at HD's, but reasonably sure they're the same.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Cabinet-Set-C-313BS/204193411#.UqXc1PRDs1I

-Cabinet-Combination-Black-24-3-in-W-x-13-in-D-x-42-6-in-H-Each

-TB220X-AB-Black/203524776?N=12l3%2FNtk-All%2FNtt-tool%252Bboxe

s%3FNtx%3Dmode%2Bmatchall%26NCNI-5#.UqXdHfRDs1I

Combo-C-296BF16/203420937?MERCH=RV-_-RV_nav_plp_rr-4-_-NA-_-203420937-_-N#.UqXdUPRDs1I

I'd probably eliminate the last one due to fewer drawers on the bottom section. Oren's comment about the drawer slides would be the second deciding factor. The third thing would be the wheel size. Bigger should be better.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yes, and if portability won't be a factor, the wheels can even be removed.

I have an ancient overloaded Craftsman box. Went out one day and found it toppled over. The axle of one of the front wheels had pushed it's way right through and split it's rubber wheel... it looked like the box had suddenly listed forward and to the side, the drawers rolled out, and that was enough to easily take it down. As I never move it anymore, I removed the wheels, set the box on a couple of pieces of scrap 2X4's. It gained a couple of dings, but is now much more solid/stable feeling.

Erik

Reply to
Erik