Tool advice

Page 1 of 4
I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone point me to the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old (B&D) power tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was hoping for some suggestions (Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw, skill saw, jig saw,...) the works.

suggestions
I have had good performance with Milwaukee and Makita brands. Warren

Makita seems to be very popular. Though they are kind of pricey.

You can go to rec.woodworking and find an awful lot of info. Try a google search on different tools for that group and you will see a lot of discussion on them.
--
Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Thanks, I'll take a look at rec.woodworking.

Other than for circular hand saws go pneumatic tools for everything else. They are light, safe, self cleaning, variable power and don't burn out when they stall. Plus you get tools that electric powered ones can't do.

I never thought of that. Any particular brand?

Nope. Just don't get an oiless compressor. Mine is but the feedback is that its not durable and its noisy. Get at least 5 HP with a large tank. Pneumatic tools are also intrinsically safe. You can even use them in wet environments.
As for the hand tools they are so cheap nowadays its a miracle how the manufacturers make any money. But cheap doesn't mean crappy. For most household chores the cheap stuff is perfectly good. They are precision made and work like a charm. If you need the heavy duty stuff such as a construction nailer then go for the high end pricey tools.

Pneumatic tools are run by an electrical compressor...so I'd be careful of the electricity in wet environments. With today's available technology, you should always be using a GFCI extension cord when you use any electric tools.
Have a nice one...
Trent

Everyone has different preferences, I guess. Although I don't have much experience with air tools, I imagine they might be OK for a fixed location. But do you really drag a compressor up to your bathroom (or maybe a really long hose through the house) just to put up a shelf, or hang a picture?
The power source for my tools is either IN the tool (cordless), or available in every room of my house (outlets). The convenience of a cordless drill is such that I hardly ever turn a screw by hand anymore. I doubt that I would find an air tool so handy.
In fact, I'm trying to wrap my brain around the idea of getting a nail gun, which I assumed would have to be an air tool. But now I see that there are some models that use a fuel cell instead. I'm wondering if they might be a good choice for my needs. (sporadic, home handyman stuff). If I don't need a tether, I'm happy to do without it.
Greg Guarino
Greg wrote:

You forgot another option. If you have to do some work way out in the back yard and you don't have an extension cord long enough, you can drag the generator out there to power the air compressor that you dragged out there, so you can use the air driven tool. :-)

Uhuh. The voltage drop from using a long extension chord was enough to trip the breaker frequently. Plus I hate having to unravel a long reel of cord and rewind afterwards. Did that for some years because I was using an electric lawn mower. I've a gas powered one now. If it drizzles its unsafe to use electrical (mains) tools outside.
On air tools use a long hose. There is no pressure drop and the tools work at full power at any location. There doesn't exist a tool that will do everything. My electric screw driver and cordless drill are indispensible tools. It'll be crazy to drag around a compressor and break out the pneumatic tools for such simple tasks. But for many other applications pneumatic tools are ideal and a joy to use.

Don't forget to drag the gas and oil out there, too. And you'll be runnin' that generator and compressor constantly...even when yer not actually usin' the tool! lol
Have a nice one...
Trent
I recently needed a saber-saw.
At best, it would be used for occasional household projects, so I wasn't looking for the "mil-spec" model.
I ended up buying a "Made in China" special for $19.95 at KMART.
I have to say, it's the best made, smoothest running saber saw I've ever owned. ( previous saws;. Craftsman, B&D, SKIL )
Seems more than adequate for the job. If you add up the total run-time for most househokld tools, I doubt you'd exceed FIVE HOURS ! ( and that's alot of run-time )
<rj>

That's a very good point.
Have a nice one...
Trent

An air sander needs lot of air to operate OTOH, a nail gun needs very little and only for a second at a time. Two options. Buy a small portable compressor. Porter Cable has some kits that have the nail gun and a pancake compressor that is a great starting tool.
The other option is a portable air tank that you'd fill from the shop compressor. It is good for probably 75 or 100 shots before you'd have to re-fill it.
As for other tools, I'm not at all interested in air because of the restrictions and the size compressor I'd need to operate them. I have battery drills and like them very much. I have air nailers, but they are used only in the shop. Ed
Greg wrote:

If you ever had to do any of those things in 100' of water, you'd appreciate an air-hose.

We're a couple hundred feet above sea level here and the roof's been OK so far. Thanks though.
Greg Guarino
On 25 Oct 2004 09:25:10 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@risky-biz.com (Greg) wrote:

They sell battery brad guns, Greg. I know PC has one...that I almost bought. I think Senco has one now, too.
I put off getting a brad nailer until just last year. Now I don't know how I ever lived without one!
Have a nice one...
Trent

Why? The old B&D power tools were well-built. I still have a B&D palm sander. Last year my 35 year old B&D died, and I replaced it with a Milwaukee that has a larger chuck. Makita brand power tools are very good. Porter Cable, Bosch and DeWalt are better than average. Cordless tools are rather expensive and it is rare they last longer than a few years. In recent years I have been moving toward pneumatic tools rather than cordless.