Tool advice

Ok, enough of this drivel. All tools are NOT created equal. One 18V drill may be 10 times better than the other. Price usually does indicate the quality, durability, features, etc. Albeit some comparable models may differ in price by more than 100 bucks. For occasional around the house handyman tasks, i.e. hanging pictures, doors (hinges) etc, the cheaper thrift store models will suffice. If you are a little more adventuresome by building your own deck or shed, remodeling your basement etc, you may opt for a more expensive tool if you plan on completing the job before you burn up the cheap model. In other words don't try to use a 3 cylinder economy car to pull your houseboat. Yes both are vehicles that get you from here to there, but one is better designed to pull the boat. Same deal with the drills. When you step up again and decide to start your own handyman company and build decks and sheds for "others" then you need to get into a more "professional series" piece of equipment. The DeWalt cordless products fit that description. Next step down Craftsman Professional, Bosch High End. Then on Down to the Skill, Milwaukee, Ryobi, Craftsman, Rigid, Porter Cable. After that you get the home tinker stuff like the Chicago Electric, more Skill, Black and Decker. Yes I know DeWalt is Black and Decker but FYI Mercedes is Chrysler. So to sum it up for you, If you don't need a $300 dust collector drill sitting in your already cluttered garage, opt for a $39 Chicago. If you want a little more drill for only a little more money go with a Craftsman (regular series), The professional Series is quite a bit higher. The Firestorm, Skill etc are all in the same range and some come with some nifty little toys that you probably won't use, like a light, sander, etc.

ReRe "willshak" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com... Harry wrote:

Long term does not mean anything. It is the amount of use that determines the life span of the tool. You can buy a cheap tool, use it a few times a year to cut a few pieces of wood, drill a few holes or drive a few screws, and it will probably last as long as the most expensive tool. My Ryobi 18v cordless is a few years old, and if I add up all the times it was actually running, it would probably only add up to a couple of hours. I probably pick it up no more than 10 or 12 times a year and use it for a couple of minutes of actual running time. If you are using a drill/driver for wood, it probably takes less than 5 seconds of running time to drill a hole or drive a screw. The biggest continuous job I did with my Ryobi drill was installing a vinyl picket fence on 3 sides around my inground pool two years ago. The fence consisted of 14 - 8' sections, screwed between 4x4 PT posts, and included 2x3 studs that I slid into the hollow plastic fence rails for added strength. Each 8' section required 4 hangers with 6 screws for each hanger (2 to hold the hanger to the 4x4 post and 2 screws on either side of the hanger to hold the rail), for a total of 24 screws per section. Including the hardware for two gates, that's probably around

360 screws. At 5 seconds per screw, that's about 1800 seconds, or 30 minutes of actual running time ( I did have to replace the battery at least a couple of times).
Reply to
chillermfg

I have a lot of yellow tools myself, and I do like them. But they're not all by themselves at the top of the heap, as you imply.

Putting Milwaukee, Porter Cable, and Ridgid in the same category with Skil and Ryobi? If you're a troll, call me gullible. If you're serious, that's ridiculous.

[...]
Reply to
Bo Williams

Evidently you don't use the Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Skil or Ryobi Cordless equipment. When we think of corded tools, the class changes significantly. Like the Dewalt. Their corded stuff leaves a lot of room for improvement, but their cordless is pretty damn good. The Milwaukee cordless, well...let's just say I would by the Skill or Ryobi long before another Milwaukee comes near my toolbox. The Porter Cable was pretty decent although the battery life was short. Not just run time, but life span in general. And no I wasn't burning in memory by short charging or half charging. I still have my first cordless drill at home. A 12 V Dewalt that I bought back in spring of 97. Except for having to finally replace the 2 batteries, the drill still works without a hitch. 3/8" keyless chuck. I can still turn a 3/8" Black and Decker corded drill backwards with it. Another feature of the DW that I like (some others feature it too) is the auto brake. Since then I have owned a B&D, Milwaukee and an 18V Professional Series Craftsman. I was reluctant to buy the Craftsman as I have the used the regular series numerous times and wasn't really impressed. The professional series was pretty OK and managed to build a 12 x 20 deck on 4 charges. Keep in mind that was over 20# of 3" deck screws + countersink and pilot holes. As far as the my Milwaukee, it was good for light stuff and tinkering. Could not handle the rigors of drilling concrete or automobile firewalls. No it was not a hammerdrill, but my DeWalt did it and my Craftsman does it now. ReRe

"Bo Williams" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de... chillermfg wrote:

I have a lot of yellow tools myself, and I do like them. But they're not all by themselves at the top of the heap, as you imply.

Putting Milwaukee, Porter Cable, and Ridgid in the same category with Skil and Ryobi? If you're a troll, call me gullible. If you're serious, that's ridiculous.

[...]
Reply to
chillermfg

On a more basic note, I found my cordless 14.4 Craftsman drill to work well, but the batteries were dead within a few years, and replacements were almost as expensive as a new drill. In retrospect the corded option was better for me: Always ready, never lacking power or charge, and no big bill a year later for new batteries. Unless you use your cordless equipment regularly, the batteries die long before the tool dies. ( I did remember to discharge completely to try and avoid 'memory'). Be sure to check out how much the replacement batteries cost, as I made a big mistake on Craftsman, with their overpriced batteries. My corded drills still work fine, and my crapsman cordless sits gathering dust.

Dave "chillermfg" wrote in message news:Mlagd.539634$8_6.389391@attbi_s04...

Reply to
Dave

DeWalt is the old Black&Decker commercial line. Good stuff. So was the Black&Decker commercial line. The Black&Decker comsumer line lost it's good name due to being associated with irons, coffee pots, etc. Black&Decker bought out DeWalt for the name. DeWalt used to make the best radial arm saw, if you find an old one, you probably ought to buy it. I have a Black&Decker commercial right-angle drill thats great, just like the DeWalt except it's not yellow. Ridgid is the old Craftsman tool line. Not much to do with Ridge Tool Co., its actually made by Emerson, the same people who make Insinkerator, except that they bought the company to have a recognized name. Ridge still makes very good plumbing equipment, the power tools are generally questionable, just as the Craftsman tools were. I wouldn't buy anything from Sears that had a motor on it. Just MHO. Sears sells good underwear and socks, though.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

That's because yer havin' fun...and yer just not used to it!! lol

Probably.

Not necessarily. You use what you've got...then replace or upgrade when necessary. But you ALSO try to plan ahead...and put some of your personal logic into your purchase.

For instance...

If you know yer gonna finish yer basement soon, you don't buy a 9.6 drill...if you plan on usin' that drill for the basement job, too. You may want to get something heftier...and maybe hammer drill incorporated.

Oh...and here's where the prejudice part comes in...

I just bought a 1/2" 2-gear speed, VSR, hammer drill 18v. I think I paid $26.99...or $29...I forget. What's the first thing you think off when you hear that price?...with those features? See?!! lol

With the way current technology is changin', don't spend too much money on something that you think is gonna last forever. The FEATURES won't last forever! How many contractors do you see usin' a drill on the job that has a keyed chuck?

But...again as I think I hinted at before...I wouldn't buy a tool that is too expensive and overkill for the job at hand. If I buy a drill that costs hundreds of dollars and will generate $100,000 in sales...its money well spent.

Many of the 'cheap' tools have gained in popularity because they were kept around in case the 'name brand' tool failed. And failed they did. They ALL do eventually...I don't care WHAT the quality is.

So the 'cheap' tool got used while the good one was being repaired. Low and behold...the cheap tool was still working when the good one came back. So they kept on usin' the cheap tool.

Common sense...and pocket book...will prevail in most cases. When I bought my first cordless drill, I didn't realize how important a

2-speed gear box is. So now, that's the first thing that I look for.

Cost per billable hour. Or cost per home project(s) hour.

If I'm gonna use a drill for 2 hours total in 10 years, most drills will last for 2 hours of total run time. So the cheaper tool is the better purchase.

Yer welcome. There's been a lot of good feedback for you here.

Good luck.

Have a nice one...

Trent

Trent©

The adage "You get what you pay for" couldn't be any more suitable than in this case!!

Reply to
Robert