Toilet Seat Hinge Screws

The OD of the plastic toilet seat hinge screws for my seat is 3/8". The hole in the porcelain is larger than 1/2". The screws do not have a shoulder washer to cause them to center in the hole. Why aren't the holes closer to the right size?

Because they work just fine as is. I've never had a problem. Making ceramic fixtures is not the same as machining metal and they allow a large tolerance for many possible variations of attachments. If you have a problem, insert a plastic sleeve or slip plastic tubing over the bolt.
On 4/18/2010 11:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I think I'll find some tubing from which to make a sleeve. The package containing the screws and bolts was sealed, so a cone-shaped washer was not part of the package. If I can find some better ones, I'll replace them, but the ones I got were all that Lowes had.
mcp6453 wrote:

On all the ones I've looked at recently, the nuts had a cone type surface to perform centering and stabilizing duty.

I must have older nuts. Mine are round, not cone shaped nuts.

'Cause they make a plastic cone shaped nut for the plastic hinge screws? It compensates the difference...

It's supposed to have shoulder washers, of some sort. You don't want the metal of the screw touching the porcelain bowl.
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 22:26:42 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

If you can use everything nylon (bolts, shims, nuts, etc) all the better. These should break before cracking the toilet, plus they wont rust.

Why are you blaming the holes. The holes were designed 730 years ago by Sylvester Crappers. Indoor toilets weren't used in modern times until around 1850 becuase it took that long to design the seats and their bolts. It's the bolts that are to blame, for not matching the toilets.

So you have to go back to the Borg and buy the overpriced washers.
Steve
Steve B wrote the following:

They should have been in the box. Perhaps someone swiped them when the box was on the store shelf. It happens.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I think there was a little more to the story than written. I've replaced a bunch of seats, and never had a problem. Actually, some of them had some nifty types of attaching, all aimed at the oversized irregular holes.
Steve
My mom had bought removable toilet seats from Sears in the 1970s. Other than cracking leg/bumpers they are still in great shape. You can remove the entire seat and wash it once a month.
But I wonder why can't I just buy a set of hinges to make ANY seat detachable? I have a hard enough time finding the same seats.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist          http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]